April 27, 2024, 05:48:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Headlight

Started by sneakypete, January 28, 2022, 05:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneakypete

Yes I do and have always used it.

sneakypete

I've got my trusty service manual and I use it regularly.

FSG

January 29, 2022, 07:00:14 PM #27 Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:23:18 PM by FSG
OK then .... I'll cut out the important stuff

what your wanting to do is make the Y to headlight hot all the time

it'd be best to do this with a fused wire that connects to the main
LTS Fuse under the Ignition/Light Switch, the other end of this wire
can be joined to the Y wire down toward the Headlamp

You want to make darn sure the grounds are good at the handlebars

sneakypete

Thanks FSG, tomorrow I'll check it out.

FSG

you could also do it with a diode in the headlamp ......  provided there was room

kd

I like the plan B for simplicity.  A diode can be mounted in ambient air for cooling also.  They can build heat when working
KD

guido4198

Quote from: tomcat64 on January 29, 2022, 12:35:18 PMyears ago we used to replace the 55/65 bulb with a 55/110 bulb,, you certainly got reminded by oncoming traffic if you forgot to dim the light.
Years ago...That was how I got more light out of the 5 3/4" headlamp on my '85 FXR. After melting the HD plug I learned that upgrading the wires and plug are necessary to keep things from melting inside the headlight bucket. :embarrassed:

Buglet

I would also use a ceramic headlight plug as the plug is going to get hotter.

Buglet

One of the biggest problem people have with there headlight is it is not properly aim. In the last fifty some years I never seen a bike the left the dealer with the headlight aim properly. Yet the charge you for setup, I guess that's not part of setup.

kd

:agree:   Headlight aim is critical.
KD

turboprop

Quote from: sneakypete on January 29, 2022, 05:44:58 PMTurboprop, you've got my curiosity aroused now. You say the low beam stays powered or hot all the time but can the High beam stay powered all the time instead of the low beam or can it only work one way ?
It sounds like the hi beam or low beam would have to go to a constant hot .

The low beam element would remain lit all the time. The handlebar switch would toggle the high beam element on/off.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Coyote

Quote from: sneakypete on January 29, 2022, 05:44:58 PMTurboprop, you've got my curiosity aroused now. You say the low beam stays powered or hot all the time but can the High beam stay powered all the time instead of the low beam or can it only work one way ?
It sounds like the hi beam or low beam would have to go to a constant hot .

That's what the diode does. Simple and minimal effort to do.

Something like THIS