April 19, 2024, 07:34:06 AM

News:

Abs delete 2012 road king police

Started by snowangel, November 19, 2021, 09:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowangel

Wondering if the brake system could be changed from abs to non abs and what issues may show up on the computer.
Any help would be appreciated as always.
Thank you.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Disconnect a Sensors and it will be non ABS. The ABS Light will be illuminated all the times. that's it.
Tom

Hossamania

The light can be solved with my universal fix: a small piece of tape
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

If you are going to kill the abs, you should remove the abs module. They are prone to failure and or lock up. More so if you never use it or activate it. Do not just remove the sensors.

rigidthumper

:agree:
I'd, at minimum, replace the brake lines with the pieces from a non-ABS unit, and pull the ABS fuse.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hrdtail78

If you remove the system and pull the fuse.  You won't get a light or code. At least that is how it worked on a 17 RK I did this to. 
Semper Fi

Arseclown

:scratch:

Why would you wanna remove abs?

kd

November 20, 2021, 06:37:07 AM #7 Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:37:44 AM by kd
I am also wondering why you want to disable the ABS.  Leaving the module and associated lines in place can cause a total brake failure in the future.  The module needs to be occasionally exercised by activation. By that I mean making them work as ABS even if's on purpose in a parking lot.  Stale brake fluid can contain moisture and cause corrosion or clogging of the valves in the module causing them to stick.  The module distributes the fluid to the calipers and when sticking spool valves occur you can have a total (hard pedal / handle) brake failure as mentioned.  The fluid in the module doesn't leave it unless done electronically. Changing  the fluid on schedule is good but it doesn't clear the module and it is critical to prevent a full brake failure in the future. The only remedy is a complete service or removing all of the components and replacing them with non ABS lines where removed. 

There has been many ABS discussions here in the past years.  A search for ABS brakes will give you plenty of reading including the answer to your question.  Personally, I am sure I had ABS brakes save my butt at least once.   :dgust:  I decided to get more comfortable with the brake chatter of ABS activating and the feeling I wasn't actually in control under hard braking instead of a squealing tire .  The times I actually wasn't in control was when my tire was squealing.   
KD

snowangel

I was looking at a 2012 police road king and just checking options.
I decided against the bike but absolutely appreciate the responses.
Thank you all.

Tacocaster

Best clarification I've read on what happens with the fluid in the ABS Module, why the module is prone to fail and why you need to use HD's Service Dept to purge these modules, KD. Thanks for that!

One of our buddies (2008) had to remove his ABS and replace parts as appropriate with non-ABS due to cost considerations. Safety shouldn't have to be a cost consideration attached - but in our world, money is king.

I wonder why we don't see a similar situation in the automotive world - or maybe we do and I'm just unaware?
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

fbn ent

I may be mistaken but I don't believe any automotive ABS systems fail with no braking.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

You are not mistaken.  In fact in Canada it is a federal requirement that if the ABS fails the foundation non ABS must function.  Go figure eh.
KD

kd

Quote from: Tacocaster on November 22, 2021, 05:16:19 PMBest clarification I've read on what happens with the fluid in the ABS Module, why the module is prone to fail and why you need to use HD's Service Dept to purge these modules, KD. Thanks for that!

One of our buddies (2008) had to remove his ABS and replace parts as appropriate with non-ABS due to cost considerations. Safety shouldn't have to be a cost consideration attached - but in our world, money is king.

I wonder why we don't see a similar situation in the automotive world - or maybe we do and I'm just unaware?

Actually, a group of the guys on the HTT forum collectively put a great deal of time and I suppose expense in figuring out the issue in the early years and detailing their findings for all of us here.  :up:  :up:  I was one of those offenders that would go for long periods without servicing the brake fluid.  Not anymore and especially not in my 2011 RGU ABS system. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.
KD

bump

I never rode a bike with ABS but have had a few trucks with ABS and don't care much for it. They say that when ABS kicks in you can still steer and stop. I played with my truck on snow to see how the ABS worked. When brakes locked and ABS going off I couldn't steer any better and it took a lot longer to stop. Pumping brakes and steering worked just like I was taught. When the wheel speed sensor quit working the ABS would kick in and scare the hell out of you.

Buglet

08 ABS parts are obsolete and not available. What to you do junk it. The other thing is people are getting to use to not worry about driving, it will stop you don't even have to think about it.