April 18, 2024, 09:26:26 PM

News:

Running rough

Started by Stuffa, November 23, 2021, 01:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuffa

November 23, 2021, 01:32:46 PM Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:46:52 PM by Stuffa
I have a 2011 Heritage Softail with Dynojet Autotune. A few times the bike has just run really rough and starts farting and backfiring. Eventually if I just sit there and give it some throttle it will come good and run normally. I've checked the fuel and the fuel pump and all is good. It doesn't give me any codes and I'm stumped as to what's going on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry my bad it has target tune. I have also put injector cleaner in the fuel a few times

FXDBI

The auto-tune is for tuning then removing once mapped its not meant to stay on the bike forever. The target tune is the one stays on the bike. This could be the cause, not saying it is but its worth checking out.   Bob

Hossamania

Check your battery cables.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Stuffa

Quote from: FXDBI on November 23, 2021, 01:38:01 PMThe auto-tune is for tuning then removing once mapped its not meant to stay on the bike forever. The target tune is the one stays on the bike. This could be the cause, not saying it is but its worth checking out.   Bob
Sorry Bob it has Target tune

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on November 23, 2021, 01:43:50 PMCheck your battery cables.

And also the ground wire from the battery post that is usually attached to the frame up under the base of the rear of the fuel tank.  If the fastener comes loose it does just as you describe. This wire is from the negative battery post directly to the frame backbone.   
KD

Stuffa

Quote from: kd on November 23, 2021, 02:41:30 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 23, 2021, 01:43:50 PMCheck your battery cables.

And also the ground wire from the battery post that is usually attached to the frame up under the base of the rear of the fuel tank.  If the fastener comes loose it does just as you describe. This wire is from the negative battery post directly to the frame backbone.   

The battery terminals and ground wires are all good and secure.

FXDBI

Is the engine still vented to the air cleaner? How many km on it? Ever pull the crank sensor and clean it? Original fuel filter?  Bob

Stuffa

Quote from: FXDBI on November 25, 2021, 01:42:11 PMIs the engine still vented to the air cleaner? How many km on it? Ever pull the crank sensor and clean it? Original fuel filter?  Bob
Bob I appreciate your help. It is vented to a catch can and I have cleaned the crank sensor in the past and just cleaned after your post. It's a pain as it only happens rarely. It would be easier if it happened all the time and then it would be easier to fault check. Again I thank you for your thoughts
Cheers
Chris

les

Maybe it's a fuel injector wire that's rubbed through the insolation?