March 28, 2024, 11:10:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch problem

Started by Tynker, November 28, 2021, 09:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

:nix: Friend has a 96 EVO Softail. When I adjust the clutch, with motor not running,it is fine. However, when the engine is running, no, or very little pressure at the lever. It is weird, but I need help, I have never seen this before, and I have worked on bikes for 50 years.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tynker

Has no one seen this problem,or cannot anyone help ?????
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tacocaster

Hey Tynker,
There's a ton of great guys n' gals on here more than will ing to help you out but like me, they're waiting for someone else to ask you the obvious questions first but....with "50 years" behind you no one wants to embarrass you so, being probably the biggest idiot, I'll start.....

There MUST be more to your story. Was there any previous work done, perhaps by the owner even? It really smacks of someone doing something in the re-installation of clutch or or perhaps the inner/outer ramps or balls? Perhaps there's something stopping the Push-rod or push-rod end adjuster from seating and giving you a false bottom when you begin the back-out adjustment? I dunno, Tynker....It just seems like there's more we/you need to know first.
Hope I didn't offend you - not my intent at all.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Ohio HD

Five speeds are not known for what I'll suggest, but it's a place to start. The bearings in the side plate "could" be shot or loose and allowing the transmission mainshaft to walk in and out. I say it's not likely because the gears are all straight cut and shouldn't induce walking of the shaft.

As long as everything external to the transmission is correct, then where else do you go? That's where I'd start. 

Tynker

Well I went to his home and pulled it apart(primary,and trans end cover).  Oil Slinger looked like a very worn flat washer. Push rod had broken inside the holder,push rod was broken in 3 pieces. He ordered everything from one end to the other,from local HD dealer, to the tune of $86.00. Hope to have it fixed next week, when parts come in. Thanks For all your help,and suggestions. 
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

smoserx1

I just wonder what caused those parts to fail like that?  Just does not sound like something that would mess up.  Let us know if you find anything else.

BigT

I don't see how it would be possible for the rod to break in three pieces as it rides in pretty close tolerance inside of the main shaft. Seems strange.

FSG

Quote from: Tynker on December 02, 2021, 04:53:54 PMpush rod was broken in 3 pieces

wonder if someone in the past changed the pushrod for an older 2/3 piece rod for some reason ?

Tynker

Here is the answer. Bearing was gone,washers gone,slinger was worn down to nothing,looked like a worn out washer. Replaced all parts with new, drained oil,what was left. not much, from tranny, went in with a small magnet, no parts just a little sludge.Flushed it out with diesel fuel,and filled with clean oil. I think the oil level was so low that the bearing got hot and fell apart. :emsad:
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Ohio HD

More than likely the clutch cable was too tight. Those bearings can't take constant load, they overheat.

kd

:agree:  With little oil and a cable that it adjusted too tight it wouldn't take long.  There must have been whirring or screeching sounds.  I would expect the rest of the bearings have suffered too and may be a problem soon if not now.
KD