March 28, 2024, 03:26:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Spoking up

Started by sharkoilfield, November 30, 2021, 06:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

My 1974 XLCH has a later, circa 1979, Morris mag/twin disc front end apparently from a Low Rider of the era. I like the  twin discs but also like the  more traditional spokes. I've already got a complete 18" Boranni wheel for the back and just scored a nice -74 Boranni 19" rim for the front. I've contacted Buchannans and am waiting on a reply; can the -73 spokes fit this rim to a -78 twin disc hub?  It would appear so from the parts book...any guidance would help

JW113

Yes, the parts book says they are. But the parts book doesn't talk about Boranni rims either. No matter what, your "facts" about this will come from Buchannan. Everybody else will just have an "opinion".

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

sharkoilfield

Buchannans has responded and they have a spoke kit just for this combination...that's about it for major parts; now to make it ready for spring!!

sharkoilfield

Going to use aftermarket hub from V-Twin. My wheel builder (and mechanic as required) is hard core HD; hopefully it all fits well 'cause I'll sure hear about it if it doesn't. Minor decision: stay with DOT3 or change to DOT5? Front brake system needs total rebuild so...