March 28, 2024, 08:07:10 AM

News:

cleanng up corrosion

Started by Little Al, November 30, 2021, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Al

So I haven't been in the Shovelhead forum for a while, I kinda dropped out of riding my shovel for the past few years and it's been kept covered in an unheated shed for about 5 years. I now need to sell it and I'll replace some of the chrome that has rusted but what's the best way to get rid of the pretty heavy corrosion on the cases and rocker covers? It's pretty bad, take a look at the pics. HTT has never let me down in building my Shovel, restoring my Panhead or anything else and I don't expect to be let down this time either, lol

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Little Al

Ohio HD

Seriously, you replace those parts or sand them down and try to use semichrome to make them presentable. You're in for a lot of work unfortunately. Keep in mind, the inside probably looks pretty bad too.   

76shuvlinoff

My unheated storage takes it's toll on my bikes. I need to keep air circulating and/or cover everything with WD 40 and wash it off later.  The only thing worse was the year I was out riding the Shovel in March on wet salty roads then parked it for a couple weeks without a thought.  :sick:

FYI I once spent a winter polishing the aluminum on my FLH to a chrome-like finish. It lasted 3 weeks. I replaced most of it with chromed parts ... which have since pitted.  Time marches on.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 30, 2021, 05:38:03 PMSeriously, you replace those parts or sand them down and try to use semichrome to make them presentable. You're in for a lot of work unfortunately. Keep in mind, the inside probably looks pretty bad too.   

What Ohio sways is unfortunately true.  The crank brgs are most likely etched into the pins and condensation will have turned the oil supplements into an acid like substance working away inside.  Sad to say I have been there.  :embarrassed:   :cry: 
KD

turboprop

Wait a minute. That looks like a shovel FXR. If it is, is it already sold?  You might not have to do anything to it. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

I didn't notice the clutch cable at first, it's either an FXR or FLT.   :up:

Fugawee

I have mentioned this product in the past.  It is called Metal Rescue.  The stuff works great, with minimum effort.  You will probably have to dis-assemble, and soak the parts in it to get the full effect.  The Mfr. says that it can be sprayed on, and later cleaned off.  I have never done that...I have always removed, and soaked the parts for as long as necessary.  The parts need to be soaked in Metal Rescue, then cleaned immediately with Dawn dishwashing soap, and warm water after the soak. Then washed again with warm water, and hand dried off with a towel.  Doing that a piece at a time, after soaking has proven the best results for Me.  I do all the fasteners as well.  Nuts, bolts, washers. etc.  I have used it on all kinds of metals on Bikes, Cars, etc.  It is also safe on rubber, plastics, and most importantly...Your Hands/Skin.  The liquid Metal Rescue...not the gel form.  I buy it in 5 gal. buckets, delivered to My door.  It costs in the neighborhood of about 100 bucks for 5 gallons.
If You search Metal Rescue, on the entire forum here...You can read about it if You like.  That stuff has saved Me a pile of cash on re-plating, and hours of scrubbing, sanding, buffing, replacing pieces, and all of that.
The one and only problem I have with it is...once You see what it will do to the parts You want to neaten up, You may find that the rest of the parts/pieces still on the Bike, look like sh*t.  Making a project that You may not want, soaking and cleaning the other rusted/corroded pieces.  And replacing gaskets, "O" rings, and the like.  At least that's what happened to Me.  But I'm not complaining.
Good Luck!

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 30, 2021, 07:09:44 PMI didn't notice the clutch cable at first, it's either an FXR or FLT.   :up:

Look at the oil tank. Not familiar with FLTs (Barf..), but I thought their oil tanks were on the left, not centered like shown in this picture.

Buglet

The oil tank looks like an FXR and also looks like there might be a kicker kit on it.

rigidthumper

And dual plugs, so this def isn't stock :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

kd

Also an S&S B carb so the clutch cable may be part of a braided set conversion when it was hopped up.   We need more pics.
KD

JW113

Get, or find someone to borrow, a soda blaster. Then blast away, and follow with a good water wash from a hose and dry with an air gun.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Little Al

Quote from: turboprop on November 30, 2021, 07:05:32 PMWait a minute. That looks like a shovel FXR. If it is, is it already sold?  You might not have to do anything to it. 

It's an 83 and a 1/2 FXR meaning it has a 5 speed, kick AND electric start. It's far from stock, it has Andrews cam, S&S B, 1/4 twist racing throttle, baloney cut straight pips without baffles, mustang seat, 4 1/2 gallon tank and tons of cosmetic stuff on her.
and NO, not sold yet. Wanna make an offer anyone as is?
it ran perfect when I put her away, I would get her running before selling her. rebuild carb, fresh gas & oil & plugs. Already bought a new battery
Little Al

Little Al

Quote from: Fugawee on November 30, 2021, 07:55:56 PMI have mentioned this product in the past.  It is called Metal Rescue.  The stuff works great, with minimum effort.  You will probably have to dis-assemble, and soak the parts in it to get the full effect.  The Mfr. says that it can be sprayed on, and later cleaned off.  I have never done that...I have always removed, and soaked the parts for as long as necessary.  The parts need to be soaked in Metal Rescue, then cleaned immediately with Dawn dishwashing soap, and warm water after the soak. Then washed again with warm water, and hand dried off with a towel.  Doing that a piece at a time, after soaking has proven the best results for Me.  I do all the fasteners as well.  Nuts, bolts, washers. etc.  I have used it on all kinds of metals on Bikes, Cars, etc.  It is also safe on rubber, plastics, and most importantly...Your Hands/Skin.  The liquid Metal Rescue...not the gel form.  I buy it in 5 gal. buckets, delivered to My door.  It costs in the neighborhood of about 100 bucks for 5 gallons.
If You search Metal Rescue, on the entire forum here...You can read about it if You like.  That stuff has saved Me a pile of cash on re-plating, and hours of scrubbing, sanding, buffing, replacing pieces, and all of that.
The one and only problem I have with it is...once You see what it will do to the parts You want to neaten up, You may find that the rest of the parts/pieces still on the Bike, look like sh*t.  Making a project that You may not want, soaking and cleaning the other rusted/corroded pieces.  And replacing gaskets, "O" rings, and the like.  At least that's what happened to Me.  But I'm not complaining.
Good Luck!

I think this might be the best route for me. The only thing to decide is if it's worth it. If I sell it as is or cleaned up. I wonder about the price difference. I need the money which is why I'm selling it in the first place
Little Al

Little Al

Quote from: kd on November 30, 2021, 06:27:03 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on November 30, 2021, 05:38:03 PMSeriously, you replace those parts or sand them down and try to use semichrome to make them presentable. You're in for a lot of work unfortunately. Keep in mind, the inside probably looks pretty bad too.   

What Ohio sways is unfortunately true.  The crank brgs are most likely etched into the pins and condensation will have turned the oil supplements into an acid like substance working away inside.  Sad to say I have been there.  :embarrassed:   :cry: 

I'm sure what you guys say is probably true but even with the high compression pistons I have in her and sitting all these years, although I've not prepared to start her yet, she kicks over smooth and freely.
Little Al

JW113

If you are selling it, why worry about the inside? The bike is 40 years old, anyone that thinks they're buying an antique bike in "like new" condition deserves to get screwed. A serious buy knows a bike that old is going to need to be gone through, i.e. a project bike.

Oh, and before replacing any chrome parts, consider this. Often chrome looks like hell because it gets pinholes through the chromium/nickel layer, and iron oxide (rust) boils out the hole like a little volcano and spreads all over the top surface. Try taking an SOS pad, get it soggy wet, then gently polish down the surface. Unless the plated area is completely gone, it should clean up fairly well. Then follow with Blue Magic or Semi Chrome, and lastly with wax. I have turned countless parts that looked like trash can fodder into gleaming beauties, and in fact are still in use on my bikes. Does it look like factory fresh chrome plate? Not exactly, but has that elegant patina look from time and miles. Like me!
 :SM:

-JW

turboprop

Quote from: Little Al on December 01, 2021, 08:01:34 AM
Quote from: turboprop on November 30, 2021, 07:05:32 PMWait a minute. That looks like a shovel FXR. If it is, is it already sold?  You might not have to do anything to it. 

It's an 83 and a 1/2 FXR meaning it has a 5 speed, kick AND electric start. It's far from stock, it has Andrews cam, S&S B, 1/4 twist racing throttle, baloney cut straight pips without baffles, mustang seat, 4 1/2 gallon tank and tons of cosmetic stuff on her.
and NO, not sold yet. Wanna make an offer anyone as is?
it ran perfect when I put her away, I would get her running before selling her. rebuild carb, fresh gas & oil & plugs. Already bought a new battery

Which specific model FXR is it? FXRT, D and P models command the most interest, even if all the stuff is not there. I will send you a PM tonight. I need this like I need an antique wooden boat, but maybe.

Fugawee

I'm not into telling anybody what to do.  However, if You don't want to spend the time, and more importantly the $$$...I would sell it as is.  Someone will buy it.  Most prospective buyers that I know, Myself included, will at least want to see and hear that it's not seized.  Starting, and running would be a plus.  And somewhat complete, not needing a lot of parts.  Like stated earlier, a Buyer for that Bike is probably going to tear it down, and take a good, long hard look at things.  Repairing, and replacing whatever's necessary.
So, I guess You need to decide if You want to sink time, money, and effort into the Bike; and maybe get a few bucks more...after spending some cash to pretty it up.  Or, selling as is for a lessor amount, and not spending time, money, and effort.
If I already didn't have a couple of projects in My garage.  Meaning running out of room, I might have had an interest in purchasing it.
Good Luck with Your Decision.

JW113

Fug, I completely agree. The only caveat I would suggest is there is a certain amount of curb appeal that factors in the sales process. I also would not spent a huge amount of time and money to clean it up, but do the minimal so that it attracts customers instead of getting passed over because of the looks. From what I see in the pix, one good Saturday and a six pack of beer could do wonders for it.

-JW

Fugawee

I hear that...I would at the very least break out a hose, sponge, and some kind of cleaning pad, and put it to good use; prior to putting the Bike up for sale.  Normally, how it looks to the Buyer's eyeball equates to a few more, or a few less bucks.

Hossamania

Quote from: Fugawee on December 01, 2021, 11:01:02 AMI hear that...I would at the very least break out a hose, sponge, and some kind of cleaning pad, and put it to good use; prior to putting the Bike up for sale.  Normally, how it looks to the Buyer's eyeball equates to a few more, or a few less bucks.

That. Spend a little time on it, try a few different pads and cleaners, get it running, and send it down the road.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Little Al

it's an FXRT I've attached a few lousy pics of where she's resting right now, my office, lol
I think I'll combine some of the advice you guys have given me: spend a weekend getting her as cleaned up as I can without extraordinary measures or money and then a single Saturday to get her running then sell her. I've been stalling for months, I really hate to part with her but I need the money. At least I get to keep my Panhead and Roadglide.
Little Al

Little Al

oh, and btw she isn't duel plugged, one of the post suggested she was
Little Al

Ohio HD

Sure looks like a plug wire here.

You cannot see attachments on this board.