April 18, 2024, 09:44:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

63030-09A LCD dipstick and level indicator

Started by Ohio HD, December 01, 2021, 03:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I bought HD's 63030-09A LCD dipstick and level indicator just to have a way to get a quick snap shot of oil temperature. I don't know how accurate these are, and am curious if anyone has used one and also verified that the temperature readout is anywhere close.

After taking it out of the box, seeing that on the underside there are four screws that could possibly make their way into the oil tank when removing the dipstick if they were loose and backing out. This alone may just keep me from using it. Anyone ever used one of these and had the screws loosen? I can always use a low strength threadlocker like Loctite 222. Kind of poorly thought out, they could have used a strong snap ring to keep it together, or screws from the top. Function over esthetics has always been more important to me.

kd

Aren't those screw on the outside of the filler neck perimeter?  They appear to meet close to the case and it looks like they couldn't unscrew far enough to fall out. A little blue should keep them in place.   
KD

Ohio HD

My concern is if one had backed out to almost falling out, that when the dip stick is removed possibly a screw jumps into the oil filler spout. I know it's not likely, but it could ruin an expensive motor quickly.

I could put allen fasteners in and drill them for a wire to secure them to each other. I may look at that. I'm going to have a lot of coin in this new 124" I'm putting together. They make down to Ø0.015" safety wire.

mrmike

In the past these were pretty unreliable, I tried one years ago and it "Potty mouth" the bed in short time.

I found this guy some years ago and got one for my 03 RK it's still working fine.

https://jescustomaccents.com/main.sc

I like analog, no batteries and a lot less to go wrong.

Also no little screws. Lol

Mike

I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Karl H.

I've been using this LCD dipstick for many years now. The first generation had an issue with being not reliably water proof. Should be history now.

The threads in the plastic housing of the dipstick provide lots of friction. So I never found a screw being loose.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The ones I have are within a couple degree - checked both with Radiator Temp Analog Sweep Gauge. A drop of Blue solves and concern with screws. Batteries last about a year or so.
Tom

Deye76

One came with my 2014 CVO, like has been said, close to other thermometers. It's still on the original battery.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

Deye76

I was out riding one of my other bikes this afternoon, when I pulled into the garage decided to check the dipstick on the CVO, pressed the button, it read cold then 58 deg. Got the infa-red out pointed it inside the spout, it read 62 deg., then went and got the wife's long digital meat thermometer, it read 63 deg. Not scientific but close enough.
Glad my wife doesn't read these threads, I have used way too many of her kitchen things in my garage.  If the next roast tastes like Redline, I didn't clean properly.  :teeth:   

Ohio HD

Yeah, she'd clobber you!      :SM:

Thanks for checking that. 

Rockout Rocker Products

The problem I had with the digital was that the oil would splash up the dipstick & give a false oil level reading. I either had to wait a while for it to drip back down or pull it out and wipe it  :scratch:

It also died in short order. This was like 4 years ago so things may well have changed.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on December 02, 2021, 02:48:18 PMI was out riding one of my other bikes this afternoon, when I pulled into the garage decided to check the dipstick on the CVO, pressed the button, it read cold then 58 deg. Got the infa-red out pointed it inside the spout, it read 62 deg., then went and got the wife's long digital meat thermometer, it read 63 deg. Not scientific but close enough.
Glad my wife doesn't read these threads, I have used way too many of her kitchen things in my garage.  If the next roast tastes like Redline, I didn't clean properly.  :teeth:   

Nothing a little Brake Cleaner couldn't take of...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

klammer76

Quote from: Deye76 on December 02, 2021, 02:48:18 PMI was out riding one of my other bikes this afternoon, when I pulled into the garage decided to check the dipstick on the CVO, pressed the button, it read cold then 58 deg. Got the infa-red out pointed it inside the spout, it read 62 deg., then went and got the wife's long digital meat thermometer, it read 63 deg. Not scientific but close enough.
They all really do seem to hate it when we do that kind of stuff. Never saw the issue personally... :wink:

Ohio HD

Not going to start another thread, but has anyone used the HD in dash oil temperature gauge kit? Was it fairly accurate, and worked as it should?

70900284 Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge

Hit Me, I'm A Link...

Coyote

I've used them on all my bikes. Just make sure to put the sensor in the pan, not up by the cooler.

Ohio HD

Yes I was going to use the plug at the oil pan.

I think I'll go this route then. It should have been there anyway, except they would scare everyone to death in traffic. Not like the useless air temperature gauge.   :doh: 

Coyote

IF you have a clearance issue, you'll need to have the sensor connected to the wire. Pre twist the whole thing CCW about 6-7 turns. Then thread it in CW which will straighten the wire. It's been that way for all of them I've installed. I've never had the clearance to screw in the sensor and then connect the wire.

I think the last one I did, I cut the wire harness, put the connector on the sensor, screwed it in, then spliced the harness back.

Ohio HD

I'll have to see. Maybe I'll use a 90° elbow at the oil pan, then thread the sensor in. If I use a drying thread sealant, the elbow won't turn.

Ohio HD

December 03, 2021, 07:22:51 PM #18 Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:35:22 PM by Ohio HD
Although, I wonder how that may effect accurate reading. It's still using the same oil from the same location, so I assume since its just an inch away it would be reasonable close when oil heats and cools.

3/8 male NPT to 1/8 female NPT

or

Use the supplied adapter and use a 1/8 make NPT to 1/8 female NPT

kd

Ohio, my experience with manual gauges is the full sweep dials are inheritantly more accurate than the style you show.  I have always just used that type.  They are also best when they rarely exceed 75% of the full range of the dial. The bourdon tube that drives the dial when pressure is introduced works best within that range and is less likely to deform leaving the needle reading above zero when shut off.  Also the introduction of fluid (fluid filled gauges) reduces internal vibration and thus wear to the tiny pins and pivot holes in the mechanism keeping the needle steady and increasing gauge life.  The ones from JE Custom that mrmike gave the link to appear to tick off the boxes quite well. 

I have been considering the pair like Ray has for some time now. The problem is I also like the dash mounted one and like you I despise that useless air temp gauge that I never use.  I don't need to be tempted to try to read the temp on the transmission mounted mechanical ones while riding either. I just know I will.  :crook:  Hmmmm, I think I just may have made a decision.  :teeth: 

I use the adapter fitting hole in the oil pan that the oil temp sensor uses for doing full oil changes with my Scavenger oil change kit.  IIRC that thread is 5/8" 18 UNF and I thought I could use a good strong stainless swivel to mount the sender into the adapter.  That would make it easily removeable to give me access for the Scavenger fitting.  It may also be a work around for the twisted wire issue Coyote is mentioning.
KD

Ohio HD

The adapter fitting that HD supplies for the sending unit is "Adapter fitting, 3/8 NPT external-1/8 NPT internal thread". They show no part number.

I'm going to give the in dash unit a try. I like the idea of seeing it when I want to. I just ordered it from New Castle, $119.96. Love New Castle, they ship fast and take Paypal.   

kd

You are right.  It's the drain plug that's unf.  That's even better.
KD

ultra 08

I have the in dash oil temp gauge on my ultra and did not have any issues installing it and like the way it works.
2008 105th Anniversary Edition Ultra Classic

No Cents

Brian...I currently run both the HD dash oil temperature gauge and the Jes Customs dipsticks for the oil and tranny holes. Both the HD in dash and the Jes dipsticks seem pretty accurate and they have lasted many years now. I did have the HD digital LED dipstick...it worked for about a year before it took a "Potty mouth" on me. It was not the battery that was the problem. The problem was internal in it. I replaced it with another one and it lasted about 6 months before it gave up the ghost too. That's when I went with the in dash and the Jes Customs.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Deye76

I had the factory in dash temp gauge in my 2004 roadglide. worked well, also fairly accurate, still going when I sold the bike. Probaly close to 80,000 miles on that gauge. Unless I got caught in stop and go traffic for a long time, which was rare, with modern synthetics, never gave the temp a second thought. I did keep a eye on the PSI gauge more than the temp one.