April 19, 2024, 12:47:50 AM

News:

Battery Question ????

Started by sandrooney, December 02, 2021, 04:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

We are moving and sold our house sooner than expected and our new house is not finished yet. We are having to store all our stuff, to include the bikes. I have a climate controlled unit for the bikes. Do you think if I remove the main fuse the battery will stay up for 2 months (it's 3 years old and has always been on a tender)? Taking the battery out of my 18 heritage is a real pain in @$$, so I would rather not do that. I took the battery out of my wife's trike cause its easy. So far the weather has been good, so I have been able to go ride it, but that is going to change soon.
Thanks a lot,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

tomboyjr

Put them on tenders if there is an outlet there.

sandrooney

thumpr54

I'm pretty sure... that for 2 months...assuming they are fully charged at the start....and considering your location I doubt you'd see sub-zero temps....you should be all right.  ...and you said they'd be in a temp controlled environment. Like Tomboy said....if AC is avail put tenders on or use one and swap it around to different bikes every few weeks if easy...but not really necessary I wouldn't think. When the storage time is over I'd put your tender on to top them off.....the newer scoot(s) with security will be the one(s) that pull the battery down while sitting...but shouldn't have any trouble making 2 months....
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Coyote

Pull the maxi fuse. You'll be fine. Ignition on, then pull the fuse.

sandrooney

I did pull the fuse but did not have the ignition on. Why have the ignition on? Thanks

Dan89flstc

Quote from: sandrooney on December 02, 2021, 06:52:34 AMI did pull the fuse but did not have the ignition on. Why have the ignition on? Thanks

Turning the ignition switch on before pulling the main fuse is only necessary if the bike has a security system with a siren.

The reason for turning the ignition switch on before pulling the main fuse is to prevent the siren from going off.

Obviously you have no siren, so no problem.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

sandrooney

Coyote

Quote from: sandrooney on December 02, 2021, 06:52:34 AMI did pull the fuse but did not have the ignition on. Why have the ignition on? Thanks

Because it works all the times. The other way works as long as you don't have the security siren (as already mentioned).

hrdtail78

That's good info.  Beats taking battery out of siren and unplugging it.
Semper Fi

Bladesmith

if your in place that gets sunshine, solar tenders work great
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

sandrooney

Hopefully There will be a few nice enough days that I can take er out for an afternoon ride.