April 19, 2024, 09:35:28 AM

News:

02 FLSTC cyl. rings

Started by gregfxs, December 09, 2021, 11:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregfxs

December 09, 2021, 11:31:03 AM Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 11:45:17 AM by gregfxs
02 FLSTC 47000 miles 95" base gaskets leaking on both. going to replace o rings on base cylinders among others. Talked to a local dealer and he said no reason not to just reuse the rings and cylinders without any honing, just put it back together, should be fine? Doesn't sound right to me, any thoughts? Thanks.... PS what's the best gasket set to use?
Well this just turned into a real monkey f*#k

Ohio HD

I would not hone the cylinders. Just slide them off, don't disturb the rings, put the cylinder back on.

kd

:agree:   Are you using O rings along with base gaskets? 
KD

gregfxs

Just o rings, don't think they have base gaskets, do they?

kd

Quote from: gregfxs on December 09, 2021, 11:31:03 AM02 FLSTC 47000 miles 95" base gaskets
Quote from: gregfxs on December 09, 2021, 11:31:03 AM02 FLSTC 47000 miles 95" base gaskets leaking on both. going to replace o rings on base cylinders among others. Talked to a local dealer and he said no reason not to just reuse the rings and cylinders without any honing, just put it back together, should be fine? Doesn't sound right to me, any thoughts? Thanks.... PS what's the best gasket set to use?
[/color] leaking on both. going to replace o rings on base cylinders among others. Talked to a local dealer and he said no reason not to just reuse the rings and cylinders without any honing, just put it back together, should be fine? Doesn't sound right to me, any thoughts? Thanks.... PS what's the best gasket set to use?

:nix:   :scratch:
KD

Ohio HD

95" uses OEM o-rings only. You said you were changing base gaskets is why the question.

gregfxs

Yeah, sorry about that, guess I had my shovel in mind. All thou it doesn't leak at all, just used to base gaskets instead of o rings. :soda:

kd

:up:  The reason I asked is we've gad some discussions here where a few folks have used o-rings with gaskets.  It didn't turn out to well for them.
KD

Deye76

Quote from: kd on December 09, 2021, 03:32:25 PM:up:  The reason I asked is we've gad some discussions here where a few folks have used o-rings with gaskets.  It didn't turn out to well for them.
Yeah, couldn't begin to try and figure torque amount and sequence.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

gregfxs

Ok, tried to pull wrist pin with piston still in cylinder. Didn't happen, moving cyl. and trying to work the pin oil rings popped out so I just pulled the cyl. Question is, can I reinstall in back without doing anything. I'm sure the gaps won't be in the same place they were. Cross hatch still looks good, a little glazed of coarse.

Ohio HD

If you mean the gaps won't be exactly the same, like maybe +/- 0.250" from where they were, I wouldn't worry about it. Also look to see they they're staggered still, and the gaps aren't lined up. Piston rings will rotate a little as a motor runs.

gregfxs

Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.