March 29, 2024, 03:20:28 AM

News:

Evo industries clutch hub

Started by Coff 06, December 09, 2021, 11:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coff 06

When buying their hub would you go with the clutch pack they offer?
Or would you prefer the bandit?     Thanks.    Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

kd

December 09, 2021, 12:15:31 PM #1 Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:21:05 PM by kd
The Bandit Sportsman clutch (which by the way is a proven great option) has a smaller diameter hub.  That's how they get more friction surface area by making the plates wider. You will have to decide what clutch pack you want to use first.  I believe when I bought my Bandit clutch I used the Bandit hub.  You can get the Evo basket with a choice of bearings, one of which can be bought at any bearing supply store.  The other is a Harley only bearing.  I went with the jobber option.  IIRC the machining is different in depth making the jobber bearing more robust.  My memory is not that great after this long but I do know that I spoke with Bandit and Evo Industries about the options before I made my choice.  They're both excellent with their service and freely share what they know.  I think I made my decision and gave California Phil the info and bought the parts through him.  That was also a good decision.  :teeth:
KD

Coff 06

Thanks for the heads up KD. I hadn't looked into the bandit hub.I'll have to check it out and probably give Phil a call.I'm unsure of the teeth count options for my needs.       Coff 06

kd

If you look at a Bandit disc you will see what I mean.  The surface area on the disc is larger and that is accomplished by using a smaller hub.  The basket OD is confined by the primary clearance restrictions so the only way is reduce the center and make the friction pads larger.
KD

Coff 06

I wasn't aware the evo and bandit weren't compatible.So that makes the decision easier.I've always been looking to bandit when I replaced my clutch so I'll just go with their hub also.          Coff 06

Ohio HD

I've not used the Evo Ind clutch, but hear that they're good quality. I guess what the clutch needs to hold power wise has some bearing on what's needed. What I mean by that is if you just need a good set of clutch plates or as KD said, a unit with a smaller diameter hub and wider discs. It the case of not holding that much power, it's just a money question on what you buy.

I have a Bandit and a Barnett Scorpion. Both great clutches in my opinion. My Barnett has over 50k hard miles, and still on the original clutch plates.

Coff 06

December 09, 2021, 02:22:45 PM #6 Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:27:12 PM by Coff 06
The evo unit only claims 120hp.I'm just over that at this point and of course never quite finished  :hyst: I had already been headed towards the bandit unit anyways so it makes the choice easy.And hey,what's another $1k  :dgust:
      Coff 06

Guess what I'm looking at is the Barnett scorpion low profile complete assembly not the bandit.

Barrett

It's worth looking into a good basket if you're getting a stout clutch.

Coff 06

I agree,I'm getting the complete unit   :up:    Coff 06

Coff 06

Plan on using all Barnett Scorpion parts.Including new clutch basket,clutch hub and the Low-Profile Lock-up clutch. I have Phil checking on availability for me.Hopefully parts can be found,unlike about everything else I try to buy these days.     Coff 06

kd

:up:   IIRC the Barnett basket is rebranded Evo Ind. parts. 
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: Coff 06 on December 11, 2021, 09:43:09 AMPlan on using all Barnett Scorpion parts.Including new clutch basket,clutch hub and the Low-Profile Lock-up clutch. I have Phil checking on availability for me.Hopefully parts can be found,unlike about everything else I try to buy these days.     Coff 06

Phil is a good scrounger.     :up:

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on December 11, 2021, 10:12:51 AM:up:   IIRC the Barnett basket is rebranded Evo Ind. parts. 

:up:

I have an Evo Ind. 49 tooth setup, basket and all, and I have a Barnett basket to use on a OEM 46 tooth ring gear. The baskets look to be the same, as far as I know Evo does make most or all of most of them out there.

Coff 06

Quote from: kd on December 11, 2021, 10:12:51 AM:up:   IIRC the Barnett basket is rebranded Evo Ind. parts. 

You were correct.Received the Barnett basket and it's branded Evo Industries.
Thanks,Phil. Clutch and hub are on back order so it will be a little longer before I tear into it.         Coff 06

Coff 06

January 27, 2022, 05:06:36 PM #14 Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:32:23 PM by FSG
Last of my clutch parts came in today.Thanks again Phil.
Went with the Barnett which came with the Evo Industries
clutch basket.       Coff 06

You cannot see attachments on this board.

hattitude

Quote from: Coff 06 on January 27, 2022, 05:06:36 PMLast of my clutch parts came in today.Thanks again Phil.
Went with the Barnett which came with the Evo Industries
clutch basket.       Coff 06

I know those boxes contain parts with superior engineering and function....

but damn, they're just plain pretty too...!    :smilep:

kd

Coff, can you post a pick of the friction surface area of one of the Barnett fiber discs? 
KD

Coff 06

Hattitude,this thing is just about too purty to cover up  :hyst:

KD,I'll get you a pic later today.       Coff 06

kd

KD

calif phil

Quote from: Coff 06 on January 28, 2022, 07:53:12 AMHattitude,this thing is just about too purty to cover up  :hyst:

Be careful what you wish for, they do make see through Derby covers.   :smiled:

Coff 06

Phil your too much help  :hyst:  :hyst:
Thanks again for everything  :smiled:      Coff 06

Coff 06

Here you go KD.        Coff 06
You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

kd

Thanks for that.  I never had an opportunity to compare even visually to my Bandit.  The Barnett gets lots of good press and I see it has healthy width / area to the fibers.  I can see now how the Bandit smaller diameter hub used with their discs allows a bit more area.
KD

FSG

Coff would you have a stock HD Fibre you could lay on top of that Barnett beastie ?

Coff 06

Quote from: FSG on January 28, 2022, 04:16:26 PMCoff would you have a stock HD Fibre you could lay on top of that Barnett beastie ?

Sorry,not at this point,still not quite ready to tear it down.
 Coff 06

CarlosGGodfrog

All of the baskets are high strength Al, but no aftermarket billet basket for 99 - 06 TCs. Is there a reason that a basket could not be made out of forged steel ?

Ohio HD

CarlosGGodfrog

I checked with them, and you have to purchase the whole drive assembly. They do not sell the basket by itself. Thanks for the response though.

kd

Quote from: CarlosGGodfrog on January 30, 2022, 03:58:35 PMI checked with them, and you have to purchase the whole drive assembly. They do not sell the basket by itself. Thanks for the response though.

One of the things that make a clutch perform better than the OEM is increased surface area of the friction discs. For example, the Bandit Sportsman clutch has a wider plate and requires a smaller diameter drive hub to accomplish that.  The rear of the basket is different because the rear surface has to be wider to accommodate the larger disc area. That's where my interest in seeing the Barnett disc came from (and I expect why FSG wanted to see an OEM clutch disc laying on top of it also). I think seeing that will form a clear picture.

KD

kd

January 30, 2022, 05:06:31 PM #29 Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:37:22 AM by kd
This is an OEM fiber and steel attached together as a locking tool.  It demonstrates with a pretty clear visual the difference in the hub diameter of the Barnett steel discs.  The area of friction disc is pretty obvious too.  The Bandit has the same overall characteristics as the Barnett compared to the stock clutch.

Added later:  I'm getting a 500 error message and won't post the pic.  I will try again once I figure out my mistake. 
KD

Coff 06

Added later:  I'm getting a 500 error message and won't post the pic.  I will try again once I figure out my mistake.

I use an iPad,the pics are too big,but if I take them with my phone and air drop them to the iPad then no problem.    Coff 06

kd

Yeah, I think I'll have to do something like that.  I'll email it from my iphone to my laptop in windows.  :crook:   That should be a bit of a learning experience.  :hyst:
KD

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Wookie3011

I'm actually looking at Clutches also. Have already purchased Barnett billet basket PN# 321-30-02012. Was looking at Evolution because it appears as if Fuel-Moto says they are interchangeable. Didn't know they only hold 120ish though. I did however Find a good picture representing the difference between Evos and stock. To be honest they look the same as Barnett? It's hard to tell exactly but definitely more area of contact than stock.

rigidthumper

You can run an EVO-Industries hub & plates with the shell you have.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

nibroc

kd

Quote from: CarlosGGodfrog on January 30, 2022, 03:58:35 PMI checked with them, and you have to purchase the whole drive assembly. They do not sell the basket by itself. Thanks for the response though.

It appears the basket is sold with the starter gear and ring gear.  Each have optional tooth count available. If you change the starter ratio it comes with the appropriate starter pinion gear.  Changing the drive sprocket tooth count simply alters the drive ratio  but it will also change the chain length requirement.  You can use your own hub but require their smaller diameter hub if you choose to use the more robust clutch fiber disc setup that uses mere area as in Wookie's pics.

As Rigid stated, alternatively you can use your basket assembly and add only the hub and plates with the wider discs.  The basket dimension does not change but the Evo Industies unit is much stronger to avoid fracture when putting more power through it.   
KD

CarlosGGodfrog

The reason I was looking for a basket, is that I have already changed my drive ratio to 3.37 from the stock 3.16. Simple change of compensator and drive assembly from a Softail style to a EG style. No chain length change. Since I have a new stock drive assembly, changing the ring gear to an 84 tooth is a no brainer. I just want to use a stronger basket. My bud owns a fab shop, so drilling out the rivets on a basket and putting a stronger basket on, even if new holes must be drilled is not difficult. I am not familiar with clearance issues, etc. I even thought of shrink fitting a support ring on the stock basket like automotive transmission shops do on drag cars, or making one out of steel.