April 24, 2024, 02:01:04 AM

News:

Evo industries clutch hub

Started by Coff 06, December 09, 2021, 11:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlosGGodfrog

All of the baskets are high strength Al, but no aftermarket billet basket for 99 - 06 TCs. Is there a reason that a basket could not be made out of forged steel ?

Ohio HD

CarlosGGodfrog

I checked with them, and you have to purchase the whole drive assembly. They do not sell the basket by itself. Thanks for the response though.

kd

Quote from: CarlosGGodfrog on January 30, 2022, 03:58:35 PMI checked with them, and you have to purchase the whole drive assembly. They do not sell the basket by itself. Thanks for the response though.

One of the things that make a clutch perform better than the OEM is increased surface area of the friction discs. For example, the Bandit Sportsman clutch has a wider plate and requires a smaller diameter drive hub to accomplish that.  The rear of the basket is different because the rear surface has to be wider to accommodate the larger disc area. That's where my interest in seeing the Barnett disc came from (and I expect why FSG wanted to see an OEM clutch disc laying on top of it also). I think seeing that will form a clear picture.

KD

kd

January 30, 2022, 05:06:31 PM #29 Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:37:22 AM by kd
This is an OEM fiber and steel attached together as a locking tool.  It demonstrates with a pretty clear visual the difference in the hub diameter of the Barnett steel discs.  The area of friction disc is pretty obvious too.  The Bandit has the same overall characteristics as the Barnett compared to the stock clutch.

Added later:  I'm getting a 500 error message and won't post the pic.  I will try again once I figure out my mistake. 
KD

Coff 06

Added later:  I'm getting a 500 error message and won't post the pic.  I will try again once I figure out my mistake.

I use an iPad,the pics are too big,but if I take them with my phone and air drop them to the iPad then no problem.    Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

kd

Yeah, I think I'll have to do something like that.  I'll email it from my iphone to my laptop in windows.  :crook:   That should be a bit of a learning experience.  :hyst:
KD

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Wookie3011

I'm actually looking at Clutches also. Have already purchased Barnett billet basket PN# 321-30-02012. Was looking at Evolution because it appears as if Fuel-Moto says they are interchangeable. Didn't know they only hold 120ish though. I did however Find a good picture representing the difference between Evos and stock. To be honest they look the same as Barnett? It's hard to tell exactly but definitely more area of contact than stock.

rigidthumper

You can run an EVO-Industries hub & plates with the shell you have.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

nibroc

kd

Quote from: CarlosGGodfrog on January 30, 2022, 03:58:35 PMI checked with them, and you have to purchase the whole drive assembly. They do not sell the basket by itself. Thanks for the response though.

It appears the basket is sold with the starter gear and ring gear.  Each have optional tooth count available. If you change the starter ratio it comes with the appropriate starter pinion gear.  Changing the drive sprocket tooth count simply alters the drive ratio  but it will also change the chain length requirement.  You can use your own hub but require their smaller diameter hub if you choose to use the more robust clutch fiber disc setup that uses mere area as in Wookie's pics.

As Rigid stated, alternatively you can use your basket assembly and add only the hub and plates with the wider discs.  The basket dimension does not change but the Evo Industies unit is much stronger to avoid fracture when putting more power through it.   
KD

CarlosGGodfrog

The reason I was looking for a basket, is that I have already changed my drive ratio to 3.37 from the stock 3.16. Simple change of compensator and drive assembly from a Softail style to a EG style. No chain length change. Since I have a new stock drive assembly, changing the ring gear to an 84 tooth is a no brainer. I just want to use a stronger basket. My bud owns a fab shop, so drilling out the rivets on a basket and putting a stronger basket on, even if new holes must be drilled is not difficult. I am not familiar with clearance issues, etc. I even thought of shrink fitting a support ring on the stock basket like automotive transmission shops do on drag cars, or making one out of steel.