Thinking about adding a new, non H-D bike to the mix...

Started by Garry in AZ, June 03, 2009, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upswept

I know it's Japanese, but get a Honda Valkyrie.  Awesome.

Jeffd

76shuvlinoff

The man said no Japanese bikes but had he left that door open I'd suggested the V-Max. Not a top end screamer but it's supposed to have the HP where you want it. Almost a cult like following since... the late 80s?   My first bikes were Yamahas, I recently was offered a three year old practically unridden R1 for my shovel but I just couldn't consider it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

frito1

Quote from: martida01 on June 04, 2009, 08:58:48 AM
If I had a million dollars....

You want a fun second bike to bang around with?  No worries about getting it scratched?  Leave it out in the rain?  Keep riding when the rode ends?  Cheap to insure and own?  Look no further than the KLR650. 

:up:

Bought one in March.  No worries about how to get out of strange parking lots, just pick a direction and hit the gas.  I think a KLR is the perfect accessory for the bagger owner.
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

CraigArizona85248

Yeah... I've been eyeing a KLR650 myself.  We have so many awesome very remote roads in Arizona that will take you to place you could never see on a pure street bike.

-Craig

ederdelyi

I've owned one (KLR650) since 2000. It has about 65K on the clock and is still running as good as new. Still one of my favorite bikes to ride and it's taken me to some interesting and beautiful places. The "poor man's" BMW Dakar :>) Early one's needed some minor tweaks, looks like Kawi finally addressed most of the things folks changed in the newer version. It's a keeper!

Some may be thinking only 65K in 9 years? I have lots of other vehicles, both cars and bikes and, unfortunately,  I can only drive/ride ONE at a time :>)

codyshop

wingie

neale

ederdelyi

>>Love my Triple! <<

:up: Great bike. My Triple and Suzi SV1000 get mucho seat time. Each has it's own "character", the Triple is the ultimate "hooligan" bike, IMO.

codyshop

Quote from: ederdelyi on June 05, 2009, 04:34:16 AM
>>Love my Triple! <<

:up: Great bike. My Triple and Suzi SV1000 get mucho seat time. Each has it's own "character", the Triple is the ultimate "hooligan" bike, IMO.

Done anything to it?  I put the BMC air filter, Scorpion CF slip-ons, PCIIIUSB on it and bypassed the SAI system.  Since this photo I've removed the rear fender extension and powdercoated the radiator guards black.  Love this damned thing!  Ray 

ederdelyi

>>Done anything to it?<<

Don't want to hijack the thread, but no, not really. Got a good deal on an exhaust system and EFI mapping. Other than cosmetic stuff it's like most other metrics ...
insert key, start, enjoy :>) Wish my old Triumphs, BSAs, and Nortons had been this good, I'd still have 'em if they were! I'll always have a soft spot for my old Norton Commando, but it could be an obnoxious SOB when it felt like it :>)

Garry in AZ

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Too many Valkyries around here already... it is a great bike though.
I sold a KLR650 2 years ago, great bike but I never rode it... All my off-road stuff is done on the CR250.
And yeah, I looked at both the Street Triple and the Speed Triple, and I like them too...   

However, a minor family emergency has come up that is going to eat up all the cash I was going to put towards this purchase, so for the time being, the whole thing is on hold. It's a good thing money is a renewable resource.  :teeth:

Thanks again. Have a great weekend everyone, ride safe.

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

82fxrstroker

QuoteKTM super duke is a hoot to ride

+1  If I had the money a Duke would be in my garage.

panhead_dan

BUELL!

that was easy, wasn't it?

Seriously, I've owned many HD's and currently have two. I ride my Buell. It's the most fun you can have with yer clothes on.
You say you want something that's a bit different? A bit special maybe? Consider this fact; the entire Buell motorcycle company including every employee from the janitor up totals less than 200. Also of note; every single one of them rides.
There aint nothin else like it on this planet or any other.

Buell will let you test ride. Try it. Don't just ride the CR either, the Ulysses sounds like what you really want. Try a couple of different models. Most riders don't realize that Buell offers a wide variety of models. Must be like 9 or more now. The dealerships are not much help in this area either. They don't have a clue. Do some research on your own. It will pay off. PM me if ya want more info. I'm like overflowin with the stuff.
Dan

hotham

I will never sell my Harley, but in 06 I bought a Yamaha FJR1300.  Great sport touring bike.  145hp, adjustable w/s, adj. seat height, etc.

autoworker

It must be true,I read it on the internet.

TweekmyTwin

Love my Harley but I too have a  06 FJR 1300 with abs. If you can't have the best of both world.... might as well have one of each..
Later
Jim
Kiss What ?

Paniolo

Consider the Triumph RocketIII. It's well behaved, well balanced, and is fast as heck with TONS of torque. Last year I had a group of riders in my Ride Like A Pro West Coast class and they had the TRIIIs. They let me ride them and I was impressed. The bike did ALL the exercises with ease, and snapped my head back on the open road. They even have a touring version out now.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

moose

i found a 2006 kaw 1400 for 6700 and am thinking about it to keep up with some of my buds sport bikes on hills and turns. it has zero miles and a full factory guarantee dealer never sold it . just have to go to the other end of Pa. to get it just not sure yet any thoughts?

i do have the need for speed
Moose aka Glenn-

skeets

I guess it depends what you want it for but if I had 13k burning a hole in my pocket I rode one they are rude crud and discussting,, I loved it... The Ural yeah I know they are ruskys but still pretty neat even if it is 80 year old BMW design

http://www.ural.com/ 

Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

Princess Butt

I had a 1995 Triumph Tiger as a commuter bike until we bought the Ultra and I started commuting on the Road King. At that point, I sold off the Triumph to someone who really wanted it.

My observations about the Triumph? One, the dealer was nice enough, but he didn't stock any parts. Everything had to be ordered. Having said that, it was reliable as an anvil once I straightened out the carburetors and put stock pipes back on it.

The 900 Triple (which is now 1050 and fuel injected) is very tractable, has plenty of power to get you in trouble. It's all the smoothness of a 4 cylinder with the character of a twin.

I've not ridden one of the newer ones. I'm afraid to do so....

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

JK

I know you said the V-Strom was off the list, but I recently replaced my 8 year old Buell with a 650 V-Strom.  While I loved the Buell, I wanted to do more adventure style riding and the Buell was too nice for dirt roads.  Ended up parting it out to get 1/2 what I had in it for it, but that's another story.

Anyway, I bought a 2007 model off Craig's List with 472 miles on it for $5K.  It's light, quick enough and handles any type of road very comfortably, and cheap to boot.

Jeffd

Quote from: moose on June 07, 2009, 03:13:52 AM
i found a 2006 kaw 1400 for 6700 and am thinking about it to keep up with some of my buds sport bikes on hills and turns. it has zero miles and a full factory guarantee dealer never sold it . just have to go to the other end of Pa. to get it just not sure yet any thoughts?

i do have the need for speed

that will full fill your need for speed.  Seems like a give away price if it is in fact new.  madjack on this site has, one pm him for some info.