March 28, 2024, 04:55:23 AM

News:

Legend Softail shocks for 07 Softail

Started by pauly, December 12, 2021, 08:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly

December 12, 2021, 08:56:58 PM Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:39:22 PM by pauly
Hi,

Any of you guys have direct experience with legend shocks on a twincam Softail?  I'm looking at these
https://www.easyr.com.au/legend-leg-1310-1973-revo-a-series-adjustable-rear
but of course every manufacturer says they are the best. Looking at around $1400 Aussie dollars so want to seek reliable advice first!
Thanks
Pauly

calif phil

They are fairly new, so not much feedback out there yet, I have Revo's on my bike and are quite happy with them. 

pauly

Thanks Phil,
It's a hard choice - ohlins seem no longer available for my bike (07 softail). Any other candidates?
Pauly

hrdtail78

My problems are not with the shocks when they are working correctly.  It's when things go wrong.  No contact number.  No dealer contact number.  Email only.  I have had to exchange several touring shocks for oil leaks and I find it a pain to deal with the company.  I have waited 3 week days to hear back from them and have waited weeks for shocks to be returned after fix.  At least a dealer hotline would be nice.
Semper Fi

Appowner

I was planning to go with Progressive come spring in both front and rear while lowering an inch.  I don't want the hassle of having an air system.  Any opinions on how the Revo's compare with the Progressives? 

At almost three times the price the Revo's better do windows too.  :)

HogMike

Quote from: Appowner on December 16, 2021, 04:00:45 AMI was planning to go with Progressive come spring in both front and rear while lowering an inch.  I don't want the hassle of having an air system.  Any opinions on how the Revo's compare with the Progressives? 

I have the progressive on my 2000 heritage and lowered it about an inch or so.
Lowered the front also mainly for looks. It rides better than stock 2-up but not so great solo.
I've been playing with preload solo and it's better than stock but not as plush as the bagger.
Harleys new softail single shock is nicer than the older bikes but the front forks are a little stiffer.
I'm not spending big $$$$ for my old softail, it's good for long day rides, and I have the touring bike for longer rides.
JME

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Appowner

Quote from: HogMike on December 16, 2021, 05:37:24 AM
Quote from: Appowner on December 16, 2021, 04:00:45 AMI was planning to go with Progressive come spring in both front and rear while lowering an inch.  I don't want the hassle of having an air system.  Any opinions on how the Revo's compare with the Progressives? 

I have the progressive on my 2000 heritage and lowered it about an inch or so.
Lowered the front also mainly for looks. It rides better than stock 2-up but not so great solo.
I've been playing with preload solo and it's better than stock but not as plush as the bagger.
Harleys new softail single shock is nicer than the older bikes but the front forks are a little stiffer.
I'm not spending big $$$$ for my old softail, it's good for long day rides, and I have the touring bike for longer rides.
JME

Unfortunately my 08 Softie is probably my last bike.  Thanks to cancer I have to wear braces on my feet/ankles which basically immobilize my ankles.  I've had to convert the bike to floor boards as well so now my main goal is to be able to reach my kickstand and touch the ground with both feet.  All gear shifting is exaggerated having to come from my knee and hip vice ankle action.  But I can still ride safely so I ride......

And a trike is currently out of the question.  I figure when it comes to that, I'll return to a previous passion.  Porsche's.

pauly

Well, have spent the money.
Will let you know how they compare to stock once they are fitted.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: pauly on December 12, 2021, 08:56:58 PMHi,

Any of you guys have direct experience with legend shocks on a twincam Softail?  I'm looking at these
but of course every manufacturer says they are the best. Looking at around $1400 Aussie dollars so want to seek reliable advice first!
Thanks
Pauly

hattitude

Quote from: pauly on December 20, 2021, 02:02:18 AMWell, have spent the money.
Will let you know how they compare to stock once they are fitted.
Thanks
Pauly

Thanks
Pauly

I saw a video on them..... the dude said that you have to "drop one of the shocks" to drain the transmission oil..

I'd be interested to know if that's true...

calif phil

That would be a deal breaker for a lot of folks if true. 

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

pauly

True, - the shocks are held together by 4 stainless rods in a square configuration. I assume that makes it impossible to back out the drain plug. I have however another option - vacuuming the oil out. I use that technique on my outboard motors and it's quick, tidy, and just as effective as draining it out (arguably more so in some cases).

So - no deal breaker for me

Thanks pauly

Quote from: calif phil on December 22, 2021, 11:44:58 AMThat would be a deal breaker for a lot of folks if true. 

hattitude

December 27, 2021, 07:14:29 AM #12 Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 07:20:20 AM by hattitude
I found the video. The guys says the two choices are to drop a shock, or vacuum out the trans oil, at about 1:30 in the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKF82wbdCE

I'll be interested in how they ride when you get them installed......

If they are that good, I wouldn't mind vacuuming out the trans oil... I have an old oil vacuum pump with my boat tools...

pauly

December 27, 2021, 08:51:01 PM #13 Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:39:51 AM by Coyote
Hi all,
Installed the legend revo a shocks onto my Softail yesterday.
Besides the rh bolt being a genuine pita to install, it was pretty straight forward. Wend for a short ride (about 70km), in the local hills yesterday. I was like 'the bump hunter', searching for the crappiest roads I coul find.
Overall I'm very impressed. Before, the front was great, the rear no so great, now the rear is great and the front not so great :-).
Was hoping to get some 2 up riding in today, but had some issues getting the bike going which ended up being the key fob aerial. Next time.
Thanks
Pauly

but of course every manufacturer says they're  are the best. Looking at around $1400 Aussie dollars so want to seek reliable advice first!
Thanks
Pauly

pauly

Hi again all,
I've done a few hundred ks 2 up now, and....wow.
She said it's like a new bike and I didn't hear her kidneys hitting her rib cage once (makes a distinctive "cluck" sound).
Overall I'm very happy and would recommend them.

Anything I don't like?
In the box there was a "don't use the stock washers" leaflet which I missed (well forgot really), so I installed the stock washers on the bolts as you would with a stock installation. A few days later I saw the page it was written on and thought "oh noooooo".... An email to Legend straightened me out - that's only applicable to the shocks with spherical bearings (not Softail)...phew.

Asides from that, all good.
Thanks
Pauly

koko3052

WOW! 1400 smackers for 2 shocks? Getting into the "rape & pillage" section not? :emsad:

Hossamania

Quote from: koko3052 on January 18, 2022, 08:11:18 PMWOW! 1400 smackers for 2 shocks? Getting into the "rape & pillage" section not? :emsad:

And $28,000 for a motorcycle isn't out of line?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Deye76

Quote from: hrdtail78 on December 15, 2021, 09:42:53 AMMy problems are not with the shocks when they are working correctly.  It's when things go wrong.  No contact number.  No dealer contact number.  Email only.  I have had to exchange several touring shocks for oil leaks and I find it a pain to deal with the company.  I have waited 3 week days to hear back from them and have waited weeks for shocks to be returned after fix.  At least a dealer hotline would be nice.

Agree. The Revo A that I got leaked right from the box, cost me almost $60.00 to send them back. And they don't have a $thousand dollar ride. Won't grab that hot stove again.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Coyote

Yeah my Revo leaked after only a few months.  :down:

pauly

Sheesh I hope that doesn't happen to mine! I'll try to find this post in a few months and let you know.

JSD

Hope you have good luck with em Pauly. I have Fournalles on my Fxst 

pauly

Update,

Just completed a 1500 km ride over 2 days, 2 up and with luggage. All good. Bottomed a couple of times (That's when my wife punches me in the kidneys - says it's sharing the love), but would have bottomed heaps more with stock shocks (this is a regular ride so we know the roads).
Still very happy with the purchase - hope they last!
Thanks
Pauly

Appowner

That's good.  Hope they hold up for you.  But at the price I think I'll stick with Progressives.  I can do both ends AND take the wife to dinner for the price of your rear shocks.

Besides having just dumped 3k in a gun build.............

pauly

They have been fantastic!
My wife says it feels like a different bike and I agree with her.
Only down side is that I now have to suck the transmission oil out when I change it, as the drain plug is inaccessible with the new shocks.
Pauly

WhipLash96

Quote from: pauly on November 25, 2022, 05:07:00 AMThey have been fantastic!
My wife says it feels like a different bike and I agree with her.
Only down side is that I now have to suck the transmission oil out when I change it, as the drain plug is inaccessible with the new shocks.
Pauly
This is good to know. I am considering these. But if I have to do that for the transmission fluid, it may be a deal breaker for me.
Thanks,
Whip