March 29, 2024, 05:29:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifter problems & solutions

Started by wfolarry, December 14, 2021, 05:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfolarry

The PRI show was this past weekend. Hanging out at the Hylift Johnson booth we were going over some problems that people had & their solution. If you have a particular question ask me. These were the 2 questions that popped up the most from the Harley crowd:

I cleaned my lifters & now they're noisy.
When you clean your lifters you must keep the parts separate for each lifter. The 2313SE is fitted to less than .0002". They are measured with an air gauge & then the appropriate sized parts are used. This means that if you try to put a plunger from one lifter into another it could stick. Keep all parts separate.

I used S&S pushrods & my tappets are noisy.
S&S does have pushrods that can make contact with the circlip. If you're going to use S&S pushrods email me first before you place an order & I will replace the circlip with the wire retainer.

Do I need to fill my lifters with oil?
No you don't need to but yes you probably should. This was the #1 reason for lifter returns for the companies that sell a large volume of lifters [not there yet :wink:] so Hylift starting filling the lifters with oil for some of them. Reduced their returns to almost nothing. The problem is not in the lifter but in the assembly. If you installed your lifters right out of the box with the small amount of oil in them you can adjust all 4 lifters in 10 minutes. With the plugs out spin the motor to prime the oiling system & the lifters too. I've done it like this for longer than I can remember & never had a problem. The problem comes from customers that assemble the motor & fire it up & hope everything is ok. Sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. So if you're unsure or if you're a do it yourself type that's working on his own bike fill the lifters with oil.

Which way does my lifter go in?
It doesn't matter which way the oil hole points. Some people are led to believe that it does. The only thing that affects how well the lifter fills is how the lifter fits the bore. A loose lifter will bleed the oil out at idle. This is why when you send your bottom end off to somebody like Darkhorse they fit the motor with oversize lifters if needed. A properly fitting lifter will be full of oil at all times & this will lead to the quietest operation.

These were the most common. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask here or start another post if you like. The rebuild season is here so I hope this helps with some of your decision making. It's all about the ride  :chop:

harpwrench

What can cause broken piddle valves? I've had it happen a couple of times with the 2313SE. They weren't from you.

wfolarry

Quote from: harpwrench on December 24, 2021, 05:57:44 PMWhat can cause broken piddle valves? I've had it happen a couple of times with the 2313SE. They weren't from you.

If they're not perfectly flat this can happen. The valve is supported around the perimeter. If it has a crown the constant flexing will cause it to break. Have seen it happen a few times too. I stock these parts so if you're chasing a ticking sound & come across this I can supply a replacement.

Wookie3011

I did a 117" less than 2 years ago. Current WFO Lifters have a little over 1000 miles. Doing a 124" build now. Should I replace my lifters? They look great but....

wfolarry

Quote from: Wookie3011 on January 01, 2022, 05:18:26 PMI did a 117" less than 2 years ago. Current WFO Lifters have a little over 1000 miles. Doing a 124" build now. Should I replace my lifters? They look great but....

With only 1,000 miles on them I wouldn't be afraid to use them.

Wookie3011

I do want limiters, is that something that is specially fitted to individual llifter or universal? Thanks

wfolarry

Quote from: Wookie3011 on January 02, 2022, 12:21:13 PMI do want limiters, is that something that is specially fitted to individual llifter or universal? Thanks

The limiters will fit in any of the Twin Cam or Evo lifters I sell. They are not a special fit.