March 28, 2024, 04:20:29 AM

News:

2010 Ultra Oil Pan

Started by scootertrash1, December 19, 2021, 08:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

I am sure this has been addressed before here. I have a 2010 Ultra. The oil pan drain plug started leaking. I went to Auto Zone and bought an "oversized" 1/2" plug. This has worked through a couple of oil changes, but now dripping again on the floor again. I suppose I can go buy a 9/16" plug and maybe re-tap the hole for this to fit but I am really thinking about removing the pan and replacing or taking to a machine shop and fixing the original. Thoughts?

calif phil

Baker +1.5 would be what I would suggest, or a good used take off.

turboprop

Put a Time-Cert in the hole. Won't leak and won't ever strip out.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

:agree:   The good ol KISS principal.
KD

scootertrash1

So, I can still thread the 1/2 - 13 plug in and out, just not ever tighten it. I wall assume the Time cert then will tighten and lock or jump up to 9/16? Will the 1.250 length work out alright?

scootertrash1

Oops, think it was a 1/2 X 20.

turboprop

Use a time set for whatever size drain plug you want to use. I would use the oem size and pitch, but not required. Make your own kind of music. I do not understand much of what you said in your posts below. Once a time set is installed, it is like new threads. Nothing else has to be done. Simply use the drain plug of your choice however it is that drain plugs are used. Just dont over tighten it again, but it you do, the steel threads will not pull as easily as the aluminum threads you buggered up. Best of luck with your project.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ziggy24

Are you sure you didn't crack the pan? If so, time for a new one.