April 23, 2024, 09:22:49 PM

News:

KB "Super Duty" Pistons

Started by WhipLash96, December 22, 2021, 06:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

I am looking for a set of pistons that I want to use. As I was looking I found some Keith Black pistons that will work for what it is that I want to accomplish. Here are my questions.....

Has anyone used these "Super Duty" pistons from them? It says that the ring grooves and crowns are anodized. How does this help with longevity? There isn't a lot of information provided about these. Bike is a 2016 Slim

Here's the link.

https://uempistons.com/c-46-kb-motorcycle-kb-v-twin-super-duty.html

Thanks
Thanks,
Whip

kd

No real life experience with them here but there is a short blurb about the ring land treatment in the coating section on their web page.  It may answer some of your question.
KD

SP33DY

I have used several sets in TC and M8 engines, no problems.

Don D

I am a KB UEM warehouse distributer. Have used many and do prefer their heavy duty series pistons. I can get any of the KB pistons line2line coated if a customer requests that at the time of purchase.

WhipLash96

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 22, 2021, 08:12:34 AMI am a KB UEM warehouse distributer. Have used many and do prefer their heavy duty series pistons. I can get any of the KB pistons line2line coated if a customer requests that at the time of purchase.

What is it that you like about the KB's over say a CP? In most cases I would look for a forged piston but in the application of this build, I am not so sure that I want a forged piston.
Thanks,
Whip

Colvinb

Those heavy duty pistons with line2line coating are forged

wfolarry

What is it that you like about the KB's over say a CP? In most cases I would look for a forged piston but in the application of this build, I am not so sure that I want a forged piston.
[/quote]

Cost $$$ less than a CP & it's a quality piston with a couple extra features like the coatings that are nice.
I've been using KB's for years. Some guys gave them a bad rap nicknaming them 'kaboom' but I've never had a problem. I use CP as well. they have some pistons that KB doesn't. Both are good. A forged piston fitted properly is better than a cast. 'Fitted' is the key word here. 

WhipLash96

Quote from: wfolarry on December 23, 2021, 05:20:29 AMWhat is it that you like about the KB's over say a CP? In most cases I would look for a forged piston but in the application of this build, I am not so sure that I want a forged piston.

Cost $$$ less than a CP & it's a quality piston with a couple extra features like the coatings that are nice.
I've been using KB's for years. Some guys gave them a bad rap nicknaming them 'kaboom' but I've never had a problem. I use CP as well. they have some pistons that KB doesn't. Both are good. A forged piston fitted properly is better than a cast. 'Fitted' is the key word here. 

[/quote]

So are these super duty pistons forged or are they a hypereutectic? The description of that piston really doesn't say other than in a comparison.... Right, machine work is key....
Thanks,
Whip

Don D

The Super Duty pistons are forged 4032, high silicone, low expansion alloy. KBs standard forged line of pistons are the same forgings and alloy with a proprietary Teflon based skirt coating. The Super Duty series go a step further and include a hard anodized top and top ring land and line2line skirt coating. As I stated before that coating and anodizing can be added to any of their standard forged pistons. The 4032 alloy allows a tighter fitting piston, low expansion, as compare to the 2618 alloy used by most of the others. Their skirt designs have proven to be much more reliable in my experience, especially when pushed with the thin spigots of a 107". The rings break in fast, seal well, and they run very quiet. Their is not much of an option with KBs for customs but in my experience I have been able to use their pistons designed for other strokes/applications with a few minor changes for a very broad coverage.

jsachs1

KB's are my go to pistons. I've NEVER had an issue with them, and I'm a high volume dealer, plus they are a great company to deal with. :up:  I've had issues with another other brand that at the time didn't end well. Needless to say I don't deal with them anymore.
John

Colvinb

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 23, 2021, 06:47:47 AMThe Super Duty pistons are forged 4032, high silicone, low expansion alloy. KBs standard forged line of pistons are the same forgings and alloy with a proprietary Teflon based skirt coating. The Super Duty series go a step further and include a hard anodized top and top ring land and line2line skirt coating. As I stated before that coating and anodizing can be added to any of their standard forged pistons. The 4032 alloy allows a tighter fitting piston, low expansion, as compare to the 2618 alloy used by most of the others. Their skirt designs have proven to be much more reliable in my experience, especially when pushed with the thin spigots of a 107". The rings break in fast, seal well, and they run very quiet. Their is not much of an option with KBs for customs but in my experience I have been able to use their pistons designed for other strokes/applications with a few minor changes for a very broad coverage.

Don set me up a set for my 107 build. They are an extremely high quality piece. Mine came with spiral locks, which I'm partial too. But the way Don set them up was so tight (by design) to allow the abradable line2line coating too break-in to a perfect fit. Was not a gimmick at all it WORKS! Extremely quite and perfect piston/ring seal. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in an instant. The key is to have someone like Don or Larry "set them up" because they are tighter than you'd think. Trust the process though they breakin perfect.

WhipLash96

Thanks for the input guys...... :hug:
Thanks,
Whip