April 19, 2024, 09:30:37 PM

News:

Wheel Hubs

Started by MikeL, December 27, 2021, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeL

What year did HD go from steel wheel hubs to aluminum hubs. I did search on Ronnies and it's vague. From what I found there was pn change in 1988. I have a 1990 Fat Boy with steel hubs and it's bone stock. No big deal just curious.

Buglet

97 Was the change different spokes, rim and aluminum hubs.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: MikeL on December 27, 2021, 11:53:39 AMI have a 1990 Fat Boy with steel hubs and it's bone stock. No big deal just curious.

Fat Boy wheels are all the same part number through `99.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Buglet

Fatboys came with cast wheels not spokes. If it has spokes wheels someone change them.

FSG

Quote from: Buglet on December 27, 2021, 02:07:44 PMFatboys came with cast wheels not spokes. If it has spokes wheels someone change them.

or it's not a Fatboy, does it have the yellow on the rocker boxes and what does the VIN say?

MikeL

Then this bike is a Heritage. What threw me off no saddle bags. So HD ran those steel hubs up to 1997. Come to think of it I never had a laced rear wheel on anything older than a 1997. My 51 pan has the star hubs.

Hossamania

It could be a FatBoy with different rims.
Heritage has a light on the tip of the rear fender (and front fender), FatBoy does not. I mention the rear because the front often gets changed on FatBoys, but not the rear.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Buglet

Last year of the steel hubs is 96, 97 when they went to aluminum.