April 17, 2024, 08:53:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

3GUYZ Sprocket Locknut Question

Started by billbuilds, December 27, 2021, 02:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

Are you folks who are using the 3GUYZ sprocket locknut going with the SM recommended Loctite 271 or another compound that's meant to be a little less permeanat? Don't really want to have to do to it what I did to the original to get it off even though that could be a while but I sure don't want it to loosen up. Maybe I'm overthinking this.  :nix: 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

kd

I used a light application of blue.  There's no way I want to be going back in there to tighten up or fix a sprocket that has wobbled without me noticing.  A worn spline on the mainshaft is not what I look forward to.  A small hand held butane torch will heat the fastener and soften blue well enough to remove it fairly easily.
KD

billbuilds

I agree, I don't want to be dealing with wallowed out pulley splines and trashed mainshaft not to mention what could happen to the belt. I weas tinking that Loctite 262 would be a happy medium between 242 and 272 if used sparingly. Didn't use heat this last time (I drilled four 1/4
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

FSG

billbuilds

Well I screwed that last post up. I started to type that I didn't use heat to get the old nut off I drilled four 1/4" holes in the flats (thanks poorUB) then used the same size punch to pry down and fracture the nut. I was thinking of 262 but nah, Blue it wil be. Did you lube the back of the nut prior to torqueing it?

jmorton10

I used red on it myself.

I'll heat it if I need to get it off.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS