March 29, 2024, 05:37:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fitting an alternator to the Iron Head, maybe.

Started by drifter, December 28, 2021, 08:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter

I finally got the Pan/FX done and on the road, work ethic is terrible.  Now the Sportster is on the lift and coming apart.  It hasn't been on the road for at least 2 decades, checking and greasing bearings and looking for interesting and hopefully simple problems that I can feel good about fixing!  The bike came with the generator in pieces (most of it anyway) and an aluminum plate covering the mounting hole in the case.  I bought a V-Twin alternator/regulator 3 years ago for it, took it off the shelf to see about fitting it tonight and to my dismay there are no instructions, just 3 black wires from the regulator and 2 also unmarked wires from the alternator.  I prefer simple problems.  Of course the wiring diagram in my service manual is for a generator with "A" and "F" and color coded wires, doesn't help.  Has anybody successfully wired this unit without destroying it?  Clues?  This is my 1978 xlcr/ 1979/1980 whatever ex drag bike.

Ohio HD

drifter

Thanks Ohio, the second one is what I needed to keep from putting it on fleabay.    :baby:

JW113

I've used those alternators on two ironheads, including the one I still have. They work pretty good, but I still keep a battery tender on it, those alternators don't have a lot of output. I don't understand why they warn to not use the oil slinger. If you don't, you get oil out the breather.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

drifter

JW113
I've had second thoughts about the alternator since about the second week I had it.  I have had a CE generator with built in regulator on my Pan/FX for over 20 years with no problems.  Thought about one for the Sportster but at just over 1/2 the cost the alternator won.  Hard to regret saving money but this is one time I might.  I was surprised about their requirement about leaving the oil slinger off also, doesn't make sense to me. 

JW113

There is nothing wrong with a generator, for sure. And I only use the alternator because it's about 1/3 the weight of the alternator, maybe even less. Alternator, anti-gravity battery, and Tech Cycle starter, I have my XL under 500 lbs. Now if I could only find a set of Thunder Heads....
 :SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

drifter

Keep it up and you will have to tie it down when you get off to keep it from floating away!   :wink: