April 18, 2024, 05:52:01 PM

News:

Leaky Quick-Release Fuel Tank Fitting

Started by Ratfade, December 29, 2021, 10:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratfade

Smelling gasoline in the garage, I traced the source to the fuel tank fitting on the bottom of the tank on my '14 RK. I've had this experience before on other bikes, and I've found that if those quick-release fittings can be finicky; that if they're not joined together just right they can leak. Usually a little fiddling solves the problem--but not this time.
Since there's no o-ring between the connectors, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to try next other than to just start replacing connectors until the leak stops. I should say that, depending on how I make the connection, I can get the leak to slow or almost stop, but not completely.
Any ideas are appreciated.

hrdtail78

There is an oring up in the female side that can be replaced.  Same size as drain plugs on later models.  Nitriles can be sourced for about .10 a piece.

It has been common practice to put a bit of vasoline on male part when plugging back in.
Semper Fi

fleetmechanic

Moto Fuel Tool is a kit for replacing both orings in the QC fitting. Takes some practice to use but is much cheaper than a new fitting and plastic tube assembly.  2 uses will pay for it.

Coyote

I bought that Fuel Tool and never could get it to work. Only oring I've ever had to replace is the first one. Done it several times now, always just used a mirror and dental pick.

hrdtail78

Quote from: Coyote on December 29, 2021, 12:10:45 PMI bought that Fuel Tool and never could get it to work. Only oring I've ever had to replace is the first one. Done it several times now, always just used a mirror and dental pick.

Been my experience as well.  My biggest advice is to fix it by any means.  I am an expert witness in a case right now.  Passenger had 80% of her lower body burned and rider did much better. Won't go well for them in court.   
Semper Fi

Ratfade

Getting that o ring out does seem to be a bit of a sticky wicket. I sure won't ride it until it's fixed.
I may end up taking the tank fitting off, letting the tank drain, and turning it right side up.

Coyote

I took the tank off the last one I did. Makes it a fast and relative easy job to do on the bench where you don't need a mirror.  :up: 

Get a set of dental picks. A sharp, curved one will grab the old ring and pull it out.

Quote from: hrdtail78 on December 29, 2021, 01:43:58 PMBeen my experience as well.  My biggest advice is to fix it by any means.  I am an expert witness in a case right now.  Passenger had 80% of her lower body burned and rider did much better. Won't go well for them in court.   

Ouch.

Ohio HD

It might be a good idea to think about the coupling o-rings when ever you have the tank off. Especially if the bikes are older, the o-rings can get dry and brittle.

I plan to swap motors in both bikes this summer. I think I'll change the o-rings in both of them while the tanks are off. They're 2008 and 2009, so they should be changed.

roadkingdresser

Bought one of those Moto fuel kits worked like a charm. Well worth the money. Takes a little patience,just read the instructions carefully.
roadkingdresser

Ratfade

Quote from: Coyote on December 29, 2021, 02:40:10 PMI took the tank off the last one I did. Makes it a fast and relative easy job to do on the bench where you don't need a mirror.  :up: 

Get a set of dental picks. A sharp, curved one will grab the old ring and pull it out.

Quote from: hrdtail78 on December 29, 2021, 01:43:58 PMBeen my experience as well.  My biggest advice is to fix it by any means.  I am an expert witness in a case right now.  Passenger had 80% of her lower body burned and rider did much better. Won't go well for them in court. 

Ouch.

I think that's the route I'll have to go (tank removal). When I get the tank off and upside down, if I'm still struggling to get the damn thing out, I'll visit my dentist who works nearby. I imagine he'll get a kick out of my request to buy a pick.

Hossamania

My wife bought a set of picks for me from Duluth Trading, of all places. Harbor Freight probably carries them too. A whole set and a car jack would cost less than one pick from your dentist!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

You can get them at any auto parts store, or at Walmart.

I have a bunch of them in different shapes, lengths, etc.

Coyote

SP33DY

Spray "WD40 Silicone" up into the release fitting, that has worked well and often for me.

kd

My dentist used to save them for me.  They are stainless and they rotate them often.
KD

Ratfade

What an adventure! But first, thanks for all the tips and insights. Getting the o-ring turned out to be not so difficult---a pointy tweezer did the trick. Next, I took the remains of the o-ring down to the local HD dealer. The parts manager there is a good guy. He told me there are TWO o-rings in there. I have no idea what happened to the second one. He brought out a rebuild kit that contained two o-rings, the valve and the spring. A little pricey ($14 less veteran's discount), but it was good to know that everything would fit. He also brought out the Fuel Tool in case I wanted it for only $114. I said I'd go it alone.
 Getting those little o-rings into the proper grooves took a long time and a lot of profanity, and I thought I might have to buy the damn tool. But they finally popped in, and there are no leaks.
Thanks again for the help.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Coyote on December 29, 2021, 12:10:45 PMI bought that Fuel Tool and never could get it to work. Only oring I've ever had to replace is the first one. Done it several times now, always just used a mirror and dental pick.

Same here.
Tom

les

Every time you reconnect the fitting you should put a very light coating of assembly lube around the barrel of the male fitting and make sure to get it on the edge of the tip but not the middle part of the tip.  The lube gives enough time of lubrication before the gas washes it off.

Fuel Moto tool works great, but I use a dental pick to remove the o-rings.