April 18, 2024, 11:43:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Questions on seals for the 6-speed

Started by billbuilds, December 29, 2021, 05:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

I'm replacing the belt and pulleys on my 2011 FLHRC with about 62K on the clock. I noticed that the backside of the transmission pulley is a little bit wet at the spline engagement area. The large seal does not appear to be leaking so it appears that the quad seal needs replacing and to do so when I replace the pulley spacer. Is replacing that large seal one of those don't fix it if it ain't broke deals or is it one of those where, with that milage it's a real good idea to do it while it's all apart now? Ditto the mainshaft seal; appears dry, replace anyhow?
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

billbuilds

I'll just do them do them all for peace of mind.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Fugawee

I think I would too.  Might as well, Your already there.

billbuilds

December 30, 2021, 01:23:47 PM #3 Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:24:42 PM by billbuilds
     Well I managed to get the main shaft seal, shifter shaft seal  and the large MDG seal out but what I thought would be aa real easy job is turning into a bear. I cannot get the pulley spacer sleeve to slide off, at least not yet by hand. Any ideas on what the heck could be holding it on and how I might get it off? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Buglet

That spacer is part of the bearing, it does not come off like the 5 speeds do. Rotate the MDG and see if it turns smooth or if it growls. If it make noise then you going have to replace it which then the transmission has to come all apart.

billbuilds

Ahhh. I was looking right at the shop manual then at Ronnie's for a p/n but my brain was thinking 5 speed setup.  :embarrassed:  So that 11201 o-ring seals the splines from the inside of the case? Trying to picture just where that thing goes. I rotated the MDG and it turned real smooth, sounds fine. Thanks for your help.

Buglet

To replace 11201 the whole transmission has to come apart. Are you sure it's leaking from there. It would be hard to believe it unless they pinch the o ring during assembly.

Hossamania

Check the shifter shaft for leakage weeping back to the pulley.
Just throwing it out there, do you vent your breathers externally, could be weeping also and collecting there?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

billbuilds

Quote from: Buglet on December 31, 2021, 05:50:26 AMTo replace 11201 the whole transmission has to come apart. Are you sure it's leaking from there. It would be hard to believe it unless they pinch the o ring during assembly.

Here's a photo of the back and front side of the pulley as it came off. Really thought it should be pretty dry here. Looks like lube ran down splines as there's a little lube on the front side too. 

billbuilds

Quote from: Hossamania on December 31, 2021, 06:10:33 AMCheck the shifter shaft for leakage weeping back to the pulley.
Just throwing it out there, do you vent your breathers externally, could be weeping also and collecting there?

Front head vents right below the pulley, good call there. I would think though that if where what's on the pulley was coming from that it'd be more spread out, not just in the spline area. Shifter shaft seal was holding well, no drip whatsoever. Replacing while in there anyhow. Thanks