April 19, 2024, 10:09:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HPI Throttlebody

Started by WhipLash96, December 30, 2021, 05:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

Why does HPI require a core return? Don't they manufacture TB's from new?
Thanks,
Whip

92flhtcu

they swap the electronics over
Need a bigger garage

Coyote

kd

:agree:   That is the reason they caution you to ensure the throttle body you send is in fact a working component.
KD

Ohio HD

Everyone except HD requires you send a donor in for the electronics. So make sure you send one that works.

WhipLash96

So I have to strip it of everything except for the electronics and they do the rest?
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

92flhtcu

for what it is worth, the SE 64mm for M8 is on 20 week backorder from Harley, Fuel Moto has 62mm HPI's ready to go after you send in your core, not sure if OP was talking Twinkie or M8
Need a bigger garage

WhipLash96

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 30, 2021, 12:56:34 PMfor what it is worth, the SE 64mm for M8 is on 20 week backorder from Harley, Fuel Moto has 62mm HPI's ready to go after you send in your core, not sure if OP was talking Twinkie or M8

Twin Cam. Now this brings up another question. I still haven't gotten to doing the EFI conversion for my FLTR. So will HPI even sell me a TB without being able to offer a core?
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

No it doesn't they don't sell the electronics. Buy a used HD TB and send it in.   :scratch:

WhipLash96

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 30, 2021, 05:15:26 PMNo it doesn't they don't sell the electronics. Buy a used HD TB and send it in.   :scratch:
So why will S&S sell you a TB and not require a core but HPI won't? I mean, I have a 58mm S&S TB for my FLTR with nothing on it, but I have the electronics for it.. :scratch:  :scratch:
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

Quote from: WhipLash96 on December 30, 2021, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 30, 2021, 05:15:26 PMNo it doesn't they don't sell the electronics. Buy a used HD TB and send it in.   :scratch:
So why will S&S sell you a TB and not require a core but HPI won't? I mean, I have a 58mm S&S TB for my FLTR with nothing on it, but I have the electronics for it.. :scratch:  :scratch:

S&S also requires you send a core for the electronics.

Ohio HD

WhipLash96

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 30, 2021, 05:28:22 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 30, 2021, 05:15:26 PMNo it doesn't they don't sell the electronics. Buy a used HD TB and send it in.  :scratch:

Weird.... I bought that set up from Dan Thayer and I was not asked for TB when I bought it...... I have a connection to S&S so I will double check this.
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 30, 2021, 05:30:58 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on December 30, 2021, 05:33:30 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 30, 2021, 05:15:26 PMNo it doesn't they don't sell the electronics. Buy a used HD TB and send it in.  :scratch:

Weird.... I bought that set up from Dan Thayer and I was not asked for TB when I bought it...... I have a connection to S&S so I will double check this.

Double check what? That their catalog is wrong....     :emoGroan:

WhipLash96

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 30, 2021, 05:35:22 PM

[/quot

When they started doing that... Like I said, I wasn't asked for a core when I bought the S&S set up. My tuner used to work for S&S so he will be able to give me specifics on this I'm sure.
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

Quote from: WhipLash96 on December 30, 2021, 05:50:24 PM

[/quot

When they started doing that... Like I said, I wasn't asked for a core when I bought the S&S set up. My tuner used to work for S&S so he will be able to give me specifics on this I'm sure.

Yeah, have fun. 

kd

You will need to send a core with known good electronics to all but Harley. There's loads of used late model low mileage throttle bodies on ebay for decent money.  Keep yours as an assembly and strip the ebay one or just strip yours and shop up a replacement.  The one I bought for my 62/64 HPI came with a newer fuel line than mine.  I kept my assembly and the bits I took off the ebay one too.   Easy Peasy. :wink:
KD

92flhtcu

ALL of this only applies to FBW throttle bodies......if the OP's conversion is a FBW, then this applies, if it is cable operated, NONE of the above applies
Need a bigger garage

WhipLash96

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 31, 2021, 07:44:12 AMALL of this only applies to FBW throttle bodies......if the OP's conversion is a FBW, then this applies, if it is cable operated, NONE of the above applies

This here is the A answer! Yes, I am was referring to a cable driven, my apologies for making that exactly clear right away.

So this raises another question. Other than handlebars and grips, what do I need to change to make the bike TBW?
Thanks,
Whip

kd

LOL  That's the reason so many members are anal about having posters fully describe their bike before answering any questions.  The OP's first post made me and others "ass-u-me" he had chosen the correct TB when on the HPI site. 
KD

rigidthumper

Quote from: WhipLash96 on December 31, 2021, 12:06:59 PM
Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 31, 2021, 07:44:12 AMALL of this only applies to FBW throttle bodies......if the OP's conversion is a FBW, then this applies, if it is cable operated, NONE of the above applies

This here is the A answer! Yes, I am was referring to a cable driven, my apologies for making that exactly clear right away.

So this raises another question. Other than handlebars and grips, what do I need to change to make the bike TBW?

From a cable drive EFI system? An 08-13 (touring) ECM, TB, wiring harness, rail, injectors, TGS, Tmap, etc.  You might look here and see what else.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

WhipLash96

Quote from: kd on December 31, 2021, 01:23:39 PMLOL  That's the reason so many members are anal about having posters fully describe their bike before answering any questions.  The OP's first post made me and others "ass-u-me" he had chosen the correct TB when on the HPI site. 

I am in the process of giving my Softail (2016) some more cubes and in turn a larger throttle body. When looking at their website I did see that it required a core. I just wasn't sure why though because as stated, I bought a throttle body in the past without having to do so. (Return a core). Yes, the cable driven is for for a carb to EFI conversion that I have been wanting to do for some time on my 01 FLTR 124. My original question was answered in very short order but then I spoke to my tuner/engine builder as to which set up he recommended, an S&S or an HPI. Based on his answer, I then decided to reconsider the 58 that I purchased from S&S and go with an HPI. HPI's website is kind of vague about needing or not needing a core for a cable driven unit. That is what prompted further questions of confusion. I then was talking to a really close friend down in Florida and I happened to ask the question to him and he had said that if it is a cable driven unit then no core was needed. I confirmed that with my tuner/engine builder. In the mean time, the answer was posted here as well. My apologies......

Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

There's nothing vague about the core requirements. ALL TBW TB's are exchange. ALL cable drive are bought outright. Going to Delphi EFI on a 2001, Id use a cable and be done.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 31, 2021, 03:22:20 PMThere's nothing vague about the core requirements. ALL TBW TB's are exchange. ALL cable drive are bought outright. Going to Delphi EFI on a 2001, Id use a cable and be done.
Yep, I think that I will stay with cable drive. lol
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Thank You for the response!
Thanks,
Whip

kd

Whiplash, you are talking about 2 totally different bikes.  There is no way we will be able to keep this straight in one thread. Can I suggest you consider splitting one out and start another thread for the other.  Keep this one for the bike it fits the most and clear up which one you are discussing before moving on. Reset by giving the full description of the bike and expectations.  The way it goes on here sometimes we all start straying off on some abstract post and it's all lost from then on.

As for your confusion with the HPI throttle body information, take some time to call them and ask for Jimmy (Light).  Explain what you have and want to do and listen to what he says.  In my books and from what I have found out, the HPI stuff is well tested and top notch. Jimmy is very knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong.
KD