March 28, 2024, 03:52:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New member from WA, but long time beneficiary of the site

Started by HighOnHD, December 30, 2021, 10:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighOnHD

Hello just joined today, but have often landed on this site as a guest while researching info on my bike. Thanks to all for the great site.

I would also like to give a shout out to HD Street Performance and Griswold Performance. My bike reached 58K miles and had an intermittent knocking noise that could have been another sticky valve or maybe the piston was slapping. Seven years warranty about to expire. Anyway, after following several threads here and elsewhere over the years regarding issues with the engine in my bike, and suggestions from many on ways to make it more reliable I made up my mind several years ago that when the time came I would contact Don at HD Street Performance and go from there.

I contacted Don at HD Street Performance and explained what I wanted to do. We then talked on the phone and started a plan. That plan included taking the bike to Jimmy at Griswold Performance to do the work, and that he and Don would consult to satisfy my requirements. Those requirements were essentially my top priority was reliability, and that I was not anti-performance, but reliability was top priority since my goal was to ride the Alaskan Highway... on the bucket list. We discussed that I didn't have a problem with the power of the 110, and to bore it to 113. The truth is I have never had a problem passing (even those that speed up while you are passing) even if it took 100 + MPH to get it done.  

They tore it apart sent the crank out, did the heads, cams/lifters etc and a tune that looks better than I had expected. I have not yet been able to ride it, but I wanted to make one point.

Throughout the entire experience of dealing with both Don and Jimmy (mostly Jimmy) it was as though I was involved with a team that was working on my bike as though it was their own bike. I don't know of a better compliment that I could give. 

Thanks guys.

Fugawee

That's a great story.  I'm sure that they will appreciate the kind words.
Welcome, from Connecticut

Hossamania

Not riding it yet has to be driving you a little nuts, I know it would me.
Welcome, beware Preacher's son, nice guy, but...
Let us know how it runs when you get the chance to ride it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HighOnHD

Quote from: Hossamania on December 30, 2021, 04:28:43 PMNot riding it yet has to be driving you a little nuts, I know it would me.
Welcome, beware Preacher's son, nice guy, but...
Let us know how it runs when you get the chance to ride it.
Hi Hoss. Definitely looking forward to a nice ride after the snow clears and it dries a little. Not going to get into any drama here just wanted to post my experience. It was good and considering getting any kind of good service for anything seems quite difficult. Jimmy was in constant communication and sent a continual stream of progress pictures etc.

I probably should have just opened with info about myself first, and maybe posted regarding the bike later, but I am just a straight shooter and say what I feel and how I see it.  Great dealing with them both so far. I will definitely post updates.

I had Great Dane as a kid named "Hoss". :) Later on Dad got an English Mastif named "Death". Both would lick you to death if you were friendly.
-HL 

Hossamania

I think you did just fine with your intro, glad to hear you've had such a good experience putting your build together.
I was joking about Preach, he's not our tech guy, he's our expert on the random odd subjects that arise!. No drama on this site, it gets shut down pretty quickly, mostly just good tech info and some harmless ribbing when earned.
C'mon Spring, winter suuuuucks.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HighOnHD

Good one Hoss! You got me on that one.  :oops: Glad this site does not take things too seriously!

Don D

I have to say it isn't every day we have such great customers!. Thank you so much!

Communication is everything and not having huge inventory of parts to sell plus being the one person that will help design the build based on the customers requirements (good listening), clean the parts, machine them and send them on their way helps the customer receive what they wanted. Being open to choose from what is available from the leading manufacturers and having access to all of them provides versatility. Next the installer takes over, Griswold Performance in this case, a small very high quality shop, is part of the design process as well and orchestrates getting the tune completed. We work as a team.

This is completely the opposite of what the "big box store" approach is and in my opinion adds more value. Best case scenario is the customer doesn't have a whole gaggle of parts they have already purchased, which was the case here. Not from a profit aspect but from not being locked into having to get sometimes very incompatible pieces to work. A clean slate build and designed to give the customer what they ask for. There is another aspect of this relationship not mentioned, the tuner. We have a few close by that are also instrumental in assuring the result matches what the customer wants and needs.

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Leed

SixShooter14

Howdy, welcome from Montana.

Nice to hear of a good experience with a garage/builder  :up:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i