April 25, 2024, 12:32:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Throttle by wire connector

Started by Markpisani, January 01, 2022, 05:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markpisani

Hi guys,

Just finished wiring by new handlebars and getting ready to put ''em back on. Everything going well with one exception. The throttle by wire connection will not snap back together. It seems to slide together enough so that pins are going in the female connectors but it is just a hair short of engaging with the piece that holds it in. Any ideas?

I could electric tape it together to hold it in place but I want to make sure it's all good before I finish putting everything back together.

Thanks for the help.

Hossamania

I've not done tbw yet, but had a similar problem with a cable throttle install, the handlebar was too long and would not allow the grip to slip on far enough, I had to trim the end of the bar.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

03rg

That needs to be a solid connection. If it's not and the computer detects a voltage it doesn't like the bike will go into "limp mode". I would not trust an electrical tape connection.

What year and model bike? What make/model/size handlebars?

================
Limp Mode happens when there is a correlation error between the twist grip sensor, electronic control module, and throttle control actuator. It limits the RPMS and throttle response of the bike. Basically, it lets you limp the bike home or to a shop to get it repaired
================

Markpisani

It's a 2011 FLTRX. The bars are bung king risers and bars. It's the main connection I'm taking about. The bars are wired. Hand controls all seemed to snap together fine. I just can't get the connector for the TBW that last fraction of an inch to get the clasp to physically hold it together properly. It's going in far enough that the pins have to be going into the female end on the bike.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The MOLEX-150 connectors do that when the alignment hold down is not seated all the way. If you removed and reinstalled the Pins, re do them and remember to depress the alignment plate all the way down until it clicks then install the wire pins..
Tom

Markpisani

Thanks. I'll redo the connection today and see what happens.

Markpisani

Thanks for the help. Redid the connection today and made sure the locking plate clicked all the way down. Fits together perfect now.