April 23, 2024, 10:35:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Do I need new tires?

Started by Jim Bronson, January 01, 2022, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coff 06

A few years ago my riding brother picked up a 2002 ultra.Great deal of corse,someone needed money.Under 10k with original tires.He finally replaced the rear, and just now going to replace the front.
Guy has all the money he'll ever need and still works 60-70 hours a week,cuts cords of wood on the weekends to relax.
Absolutely  Does not care how old tires are,if they've got tread there good to go  :dgust:  Definitely not for me.   Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

calif phil

I just re-tired my Hummer H2 tires with 3/4 tread on them.  $270 a tire x5 was tough to swallow for a vehicle that I don't drive a lot, but I am not going to chance it. 

Buglet

Old tires are one thing, but my main concern is when they don't even check the tire pressure. I would say about 70% that come in low and low as 6 lbs. I have one old guy with a new CVO runs his tires pass the cords, when I ask him if what's with that he tries to tell me I'm picking on him and gets piss.  His last tire wouldn't ever hold air. It don't matter front or back. Some people just don't care.   

Fugawee

January 07, 2022, 01:55:41 PM #28 Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:32:43 PM by Fugawee
JW...You are not alone; I've done it too.  Not quite as old as the ones on Your Indian though.  My main riding Bike is an 03' FLHTCU, those tires I replaced less than a year ago.  I always take a good look at those, because prior to Covid, Myself and some others were known to take off for a few days on a moment's notice for a little getaway.  The other ones I would have to look at My records.  The only "saving grace" that I think anyways, is that I always store them all on frame lifts.  All the time.  And I check all the air pressures and inspect them frequently.  I'm not saying that is the correct way of doing things...but it seems to work for Me.             

sandrooney

Mine get changed well before any time worries with one exception, the rear tires on my wife's trike. The tread would have lasted well beyond the 10 year limit. I changed them out at 9 years and 35,000 miles, they still had pretty good tread on them.
Patience is such a waste of time .

Hossamania

My last truck had tires that were 16 years old, it became a point of pride to see how long I could go on them (they had about 40,000 miles on them at that point). I was ready to buy tires for it when it broke in half from rust, so saved myself $1000.
The "new" truck got tires two years ago (2000 miles on them now), not an easy decision when the old ones were only 7 years old, but crappy from the get-go. Doubled the value of the truck.
I have never regretted buying new tires for any vehicle. I think my shop gives my old bike tires to the cheap old guys that just need running around tires, I tend to change them earlier than most, it seems.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

cheech

Quote from: Buglet on January 07, 2022, 01:04:02 PMI have one old guy with a new CVO runs his tires pass the cords,   
The cords are the final (2nd) set of wear indicators.
Ask me how I know.  :SM: 

louloupa

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 02, 2022, 10:58:57 AMSounds like a unanimous decision. I'll go with Commander IIs. They are working fine on my RK.
Thanks.

Rather, go up to commander 3. they are better than the 2.