March 29, 2024, 06:56:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Removing stripped fasteners

Started by Jim Bronson, January 04, 2022, 01:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I don't know which gorilla species was working at the factory in 2013, bit they must have been the aggressive kind. I tried to remove the passenger pegs from my Dyna today. The first torx bolt on the right side removed easily, but the second one wouldn't budge. I sprayed a little WD-40 in it, but it still wouldn't break loose. It finally stripped out.

In order to remove the left side peg, I needed to remove the belt guard. No problem except the front allen bolt head stripped. I verified the sizes of both bits, but they were just too tight. In both cases, I put pressure on the bit so that it fully seated in the bolt head as I tried to remove them.

What is the recovery method for these stripped fasteners?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Coyote

January 04, 2022, 01:48:16 PM #2 Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:13:49 PM by Coyote
Get a torx just bigger than the hex head and hammer it into the bolt. Then use an impact to pull it.

turboprop

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 04, 2022, 01:13:36 PMI don't know which gorilla species was working at the factory in 2013, bit they must have been the aggressive kind. I tried to remove the passenger pegs from my Dyna today. The first torx bolt on the right side removed easily, but the second one wouldn't budge. I sprayed a little WD-40 in it, but it still wouldn't break loose. It finally stripped out.

In order to remove the left side peg, I needed to remove the belt guard. No problem except the front allen bolt head stripped. I verified the sizes of both bits, but they were just too tight. In both cases, I put pressure on the bit so that it fully seated in the bolt head as I tried to remove them.

What is the recovery method for these stripped fasteners?
Quote from: Coyote on January 04, 2022, 01:48:16 PMGet a torx just bigger than the hex head and hammer it into the bolt. Then use an impact to pill it.

And heat. Soften that thread locker before doing anything.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Buglet

They do like using a lot of loctite. Turboprop right heat them up.

Jim Bronson

The above method worked on the belt guard hex bolt, but the Torx bolt on the right side still won't budge. I think I need more drastic measures.

Coyote

Oh, I thought the bolt on the peg was a hex. Well you can cut them off then use vise grips. Or weld a nut on it if you have to. Those things corrode in pretty good sometimes.  :emsad:

Jim Bronson

I don't weld. I thought of grinding flats on the bolt head and trying vice grips, but given how tight it is, I'm not sure it would work. The two torx on right side should come out now that I know to use heat.

Tomorrow is another day, sigh ...

This is why I don't work on engines  :cry:

Thanks to all.

Rockout Rocker Products

I've had excellent results with THESE when vice grips & everything else failed.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Jim Bronson

Thanks, but it is a torx bolt. I'm thinking now of trying a screw extractor.

Jim Bronson

I removed the belt guard and removed one of the torx bolts using heat and a socket wrench. I didn't need the impact driver. The second one is difficult due to its location, but at least I didn't strip it. I think I'll just button it up and let the shop deal with it when I take it in for new tires late this week or next. They have better tools than I have. I got a good education from this thread, and I appreciate the help. Time to ride.

Hossamania

Sometimes it's just best to pay the man.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ironheadmike

If you can, drill the head off being careful not to drll into the part. It'll relieve all the pressure on the threads, you can take the part off, and there will be a small piece of the bolt to work with .

Wookie3011

When it comes to harleys and torx I coined up for the SnapOns. I to used to struggle with stripped torx heads and as soon as I switched to SnapOn Torx sockets the problem disappeared. A handy hand held hammer impact has saved my hide a few times 

panhead_dan

Get a reverse drill bit to drill the bolt head with. It should be the size of the threads or a little bigger. It will create heat as it does the drilling and often the bolt will spin on out just before it drills all the way through. If it doesn't spin on out, you are no worse off.

No Cents

look at Speed Out bolt extractors.
Home Depot and Lowes carry them.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

SixShooter14

I've not had too much luck with the extractors. Like everything else, they occasionally work, but not a guarantee.

If you can get decent access to the head...I have used a dremel to cut a good slot in the head and use a flat head screw driver to turn them.
Plan B is to cut the slot and use a chisel to tap it in the loosening direction (Works like a flat head in an impact).
Plan C is a pair of vice grips and/or pipe wrench on the head, the pipe wrench works great as it grips harder as you apply torque (Just make DAMNED SURE you're turning it the right correct direction)
Plan D (for Drill) is to drill off the head, remove part, then remove screw. So far, I've only had to liquify 1 bolt and that was on the bumper of my old truck.

I think it's worked every time?
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Appowner

Quote from: Hossamania on January 04, 2022, 10:48:03 PMSometimes it's just best to pay the man.

I find the older I get the more I pay the man.   :emoGroan:

rigidthumper

Sometimes a check fix to a professional is cheaper in the long run...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jim Bronson

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 01, 2022, 05:02:52 AMSometimes a check fix to a professional is cheaper in the long run...
That's what I'm thinking. I need new tires, so it will be easier to just let them deal with it.

76shuvlinoff

It ain't tight if it's a liquid.

No, don't do that.  :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Jim Bronson

Got it! Woohoo! The secret was to use a lot of heat. I switched the heat gun to the hottest setting and held it on the bolt head for several minutes, repositioning it around the head. It then came right out with a socket extension - the impact driver wasn't needed. I may try for the remaining bolt on the left side tomorrow. It isn't stripped, but it isn't easy to access. At least now I know the secret - HEAT and lots of it.

panhead_dan

Heat is the key to releasing most adhesives and locktite.

Jim Bronson

I removed the left one yesterday using the same technique. Another project finished with the help of HTT.