Comp cams new lifter design ? evolution 850001

Started by itsafatboy, January 06, 2022, 09:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

So not sure how new to everyone but first ive seen them , i asked if would work in twin cam they responded yes, but not sure if they would send enough oil to top end , just wondering opinions on them , seems like a lifter inside a lifter ?

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-jf84aish/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/6779/33524/85001-16_2__61056.1636049300.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

Wookie3011

I can't remember where I seen it but a lifter supplier did a video where they took a twin cam and opened the rocker boxes to show at what point and how long did it take for oil to reach the top with lifter setups. The trend at the time was to use chevy lifters in TC. They showed that it took about 1 minute for oil to reach the top end essentially the hottest parts in the engine. The chevy lifters never did reach oiling to the top end instead was a slow trickle. I've had great success with Johnson Hylifts. Got them from WFO larry or Larry's motorcycle and machine. They work great. As far as this lifter for other uses? No idea.

Don D

It is a great idea..
For CompCams, not the consumer.
A great example of a try by the sales and marketing department to pull rank on the engineers, gang up with the finance department and sell a product.
Bob have a look at iskys bushing lifter. As I stated before there is room for many at the top, there are good options for the twin cam however all of them are pushing the limits of what a hydraulic roller lifter physically can take over a long time period, especially with higher spring pressures and a lot of low speed operation. Another side not and not discussed much, most of our cases provide too much clearance for the lifters. This and low slow speed oil pressure being low add to the issue of longevity. Also it is possible to use lifters with a .750 wheel. The common choices are .700.

itsafatboy

thank you for the info kind of got on a lifter kick lately trying to learn what i can, and going to stick with what whats tried and true, for lifters,  last time i tried something new was the roller-X, full floating ceramic roller lifter, didnt keep in to long he had issues with longevity and material, got mine out just in time     

itsafatboy

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 07, 2022, 06:34:04 AMIt is a great idea..
For CompCams, not the consumer.
A great example of a try by the sales and marketing department to pull rank on the engineers, gang up with the finance department and sell a product.
Bob have a look at iskys bushing lifter. As I stated before there is room for many at the top, there are good options for the twin cam however all of them are pushing the limits of what a hydraulic roller lifter physically can take over a long time period, especially with higher spring pressures and a lot of low speed operation. Another side not and not discussed much, most of our cases provide too much clearance for the lifters. This and low slow speed oil pressure being low add to the issue of longevity. Also it is possible to use lifters with a .750 wheel. The common choices are .700.
ok so i just read the stuff on the isky bushing roller - X lifter , wonder if anyone has tried these in the twincam , sure seems like a great idea if you can keep the oil in there annd they dont get clogged up,

turboprop

Quote from: itsafatboy on January 07, 2022, 11:15:45 PMthank you for the info kind of got on a lifter kick lately trying to learn what i can, and going to stick with what whats tried and true, for lifters,  last time i tried something new was the roller-X, full floating ceramic roller lifter, didnt keep in to long he had issues with longevity and material, got mine out just in time     

If you really want to do something over the top and not needed as so many on this forum feel the need to, send the right case half to Darkhorse Crank and have the lifter bores fitted with bushings and have them hone each bore to individual lifters that you provide. Lifters will come back marked for which hole and the bushing material will maintain clearance longer than the aluminum case.

Back to the Jims solid roller/bushingless lifter. Why not? You have nothing to loose. The issues with some Jims lifters where with the roller bearings. Not an issue with these lifters. Not a lot of complaints about Jims lifters not pumping up, collapsing or providing oil to top ends. Just do, get that case done and put some solid bushing lifters in there. Done.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.