April 19, 2024, 06:07:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1999 Heritage Softail Classic Windshield is foggy from age.

Started by 4DogsanaHog, January 08, 2022, 08:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4DogsanaHog

Do any of you know how to fix this problem? I have tried waxing but that doesn't seem to do it. Help!
You can't get rid of a bad temper by losing it!

Hossamania

You could try the Novus brand of cleaners, but at some point a new shield is the only real option.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

I polish them all the time the same way I polish paint. It works fine as long as the shield isn't coated. If it's coated, you'll ruin them. Use a DA sander and polishing compound.

kd

If you mean foggy as in internally (not crazed on the surface) it's toast.  No going back.
KD

JW113

And if you mean "foggy" like car headlights get, try some McGuiare's Plast-X. Found at almost any car parts store.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

4DogsanaHog

It's on the surface. I got some of it off but it isn't easy. I tried Meguiar's but it doesn't do much for it.

Coyote

4DogsanaHog

Coyote

Start with Ultra Cut 105. Then go to 205. Use a large buffer.

Ironpig9

You said it all in your title: Old Age. 23 years is pretty good for a windshield. You've gotten your $$ worth and then some. Crack open your wallet, let out the moths and spring for a new one. Lots to choose from and I bet you'll find one you like even better than the original. BTW it's great to see where you're going, esp. in the rain. Ride that vintage bike.
"The road goes on forever...."