March 28, 2024, 06:53:27 AM

News:

M8 & Timken Bearing Question

Started by Nastytls, January 09, 2022, 04:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

When converting an M8 to a timken, do you need to use the same smaller crank spacer that you do with the TC? My compensator is too far out and I cant see any other reason this would happen.

rigidthumper

The stock spacer cannot be used with a timken bearing conversion. You can machine the stock one shorter, or buy one from Darkhorse.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

CVOThunder

Perfect timing on asking about Timken on M8's. Trying to find out if the process is the same on an M8 as it is on the TC. Videos I'm seeing tell me it is and set the clearance the same. All for the future, warranty still in effect on my 2020 RGL with 131. Beefing up the bottom end after spending coin on the kit is counter productive but thinking Darkhorse for a better crank setup. Not sure if the stock 131 pistons will work, hope so but by the time I get to that point they might be worn out anyway. Thanks.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

Don D

I suggest asking GRC before diving into the conversion. They advise against it and have solid actual real world experience with failures.

CVOThunder

Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

Nastytls

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 09, 2022, 08:34:53 AMI suggest asking GRC before diving into the conversion. They advise against it and have solid actual real world experience with failures.

Care to elaborate? Also, who is CRG?

Don D

https://www.facebook.com/Gardnerracingconcepts/
They have had case failures and now fill the cases with epoxy if a timken has been installed. Not a recomendation or advice just what I have observed.

cheech

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 09, 2022, 09:46:00 AMhttps://www.facebook.com/Gardnerracingconcepts/
They have had case failures and now fill the cases with epoxy if a timken has been installed. Not a recomendation or advice just what I have observed.
Where are they filling with epoxy?

Nastytls

I was wrong, my builder did not install a timken...For the exact reason HDSP mentioned.  :kick:

Don D

Next thing that gets done I am not much of a fan of is balancer removal. There is a time and place but not for modest powered street bikes. I could be brought around if someone has some great reports of success.

SP33DY

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 19, 2022, 05:10:22 AMNext thing that gets done I am not much of a fan of is balancer removal. There is a time and place but not for modest powered street bikes. I could be brought around if someone has some great reports of success.

I agree. Only for crazy turbo and scenarios where the engine never sees any mercy. Then I go with welding, plugging, dynamic balancing, no balancer.

Don D

And that means minus 2 for the softails

Hossamania

Are there two different M8 motors between touring and Softail? I thought since the M8 has a balancer it would be enough for one between the two models.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

cheech

Quote from: Hossamania on January 19, 2022, 10:21:48 AMAre there two different M8 motors between touring and Softail? I thought since the M8 has a balancer it would be enough for one between the two models.
As above, Softails have 2.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JSD

Lots of shops do the Timken conversion, if your got crank out why not ? 

Nastytls

Quote from: JSD on February 02, 2022, 08:54:13 PMLots of shops do the Timken conversion, if your got crank out why not ?

As was already stated, they can potentially cause case failures. My ( well known/respected ) builder confirmed this to me. Not that HDSP isn't well known or respected, just stating that his opinion was confirmed.

Deye76

Are the M8 baggers rubber mounted in addition to the internal balancer?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

92flhtcu

Deye-yes, but front is similiar to two swingarm bushing/isolators, not like the twin cam front
Need a bigger garage

kd

February 04, 2022, 08:15:45 AM #19 Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:26:34 AM by kd
My 2011 RGU has a front mount cross bar with 2 isolation donuts instead of the single mount of the early version.
KD

Ohio HD

Yep, they started the double front mount on touring bikes in 2009.

92flhtcu

yeah, sorry, I was stuck on early 08 type TC
Need a bigger garage

Buglet

08 was when the top mount was move to in front of the front head.

Ohio HD

We're speaking about the front lower mount. 2009 they went to duel donut front lower mounts with the new frame.

Two of 16207-09 mounts.

Buglet

I know what mounts your talking about, the change was done in two years top 08 bottom 09. Some assume it was done it one year. 08 is basically one year bike. Didn't mean to mess you up.