March 29, 2024, 01:15:36 AM

News:

Front brake pads

Started by Excalibur, January 10, 2022, 03:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Excalibur

My (approx '79) Shovel is soon to be ready. Before I can ride, it needs to be Vinned which means quite a strict compliance test. Brakes are something they are real fussy about. Common talk is they make you fit new rotors and/or new pads.

I want to be ready with pads if needed. Am particularly interested to understand about Kevlar pads which I've never tried. Are they good? I have a merchant that has Kevlar and regular organic at similar price and most importantly shipping is reasonable.

At this moment bike has original discs on it.

Comment invited. Thanks.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Tacocaster

Brembo explains it quite simply...the pad material chosen depends on the application. The wrong choice could be deadly. Research for YOUR application.

I simply Googled, "Which brake pad material for my motorcycle?" and opened the Brembo result.
Good luck!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

JW113

I think by definition, Kevlar pads *are* organic pads, or at least a type of organic. Kevlar is basically a plastic fiber, i.e. organic compound.

Having tried many different types over the many years, I've settled on EBC V-Pads. I believe they are a hybrid organic/metallic compound. I like them because they are low dust, and don't squeak.

YMMV,

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Buglet

Like JW113 says the EBC V-pads are a good choice, being using the for years on the older bikes that came with organic pads

Excalibur

Great info, thanks guys.

Probably be some months before I get this bike rolling anyway I'm working on it in spare time.

You cannot see attachments on this board.