March 28, 2024, 03:55:32 AM

News:

Ignition upgrade for 91 sportster

Started by andyxlh, May 26, 2021, 12:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyxlh

Hello all,
Just considering an upgrade for the stock ignition on my 91xlh, 1200 conversion with stock heads and mikuni hs40 carb.
Considering a Dyna 2000i Ultima, does anyone know if this will give a decent performance upgrade on the stock 883 ignition?
Cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Ironheadmike

Pretty much any ignition is better than stock. The stock one is setup to pass epa standards.

aswracing

Quote from: andyxlh on May 26, 2021, 12:00:34 AMHello all,
Just considering an upgrade for the stock ignition on my 91xlh, 1200 conversion with stock heads and mikuni hs40 carb.
Considering a Dyna 2000i Ultima, does anyone know if this will give a decent performance upgrade on the stock 883 ignition?
Cheers
Andy

The Dyna 2000i and the Ultima are two different ignitions. Even though the DIP switch functions are the same, the curves they offer are not at all the same. Do yourself a favor and go with the Dyna. Do yourself a bigger favor and go with the Dyna 7-pin version instead of the 2000i, it's plug-and-play on a 1991 model, where the 2000i is a nose cone that would need to be wired in.

jsachs1

I'm a fan of Daytona Twin Tec. Never had a problem using them over the years. 386 304 - 0700.
John

Buglet

I use to use the dyna systems a still do, but I think the DTT is a is easier to use when making a custom curve. A couple years ago I had a 96 1200 XL for the hell of it I try to see if I could get any more out of it with changing the Ing, there was no real gain. But that was on a basically al stock except for carb work a exhaust.