News:

2019 Ultra brakes

Started by Hossamania, March 20, 2022, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

It appears linked brakes were an OEM 2014 introduction.
KD

Hossamania

Thank you. A friend has intermittent issue with rear brake locking up, he knows it will happen when his front brake handle suddenly gets hard, then works fine rest of the day.
Of course, no codes, so dealer says they can't do anything about it.
He is getting a full flush pretty soon, hopefully that will help.
His rear rotor is quite blued too, not sure what's going on yet.

CVOThunder

Highly doubtful that this is the issue but I had a 78 Superglide that would cook the rear master cylinder after I changed pipes. Probably not it but it came to mind.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

jamminhd2000

Symptoms point to problems with abs unit as reported by others.

How well has the brakes been maintained?

Were they bled properly with any type of abs device?

Correct fluid used?

Any abs codes?

Stuck piston in brake caliper?

Hossamania

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on March 22, 2022, 08:19:18 AMSymptoms point to problems with abs unit as reported by others.

How well has the brakes been maintained?

Were they bled properly with any type of abs device?

Correct fluid used?

Any abs codes?

Stuck piston in brake caliper?

Bike is only two years old, 15,000 miles, dealer serviced, goes in for regular service soon, will get a full brake flush from the dealership. It has been in twice for the rear brake lock up issue, no codes found, therefore not a problem as far as they are concerned.à At least now he knows it will happen when the front brake lever suddenly goes hard, but that doesn't solve the problem.
There is obviously something wrong, but I doubt the dealership will go very deep into it to figure it out.
I'm sure they will tell him he is overusing the rear brake, but he is a front brake guy, rarely hits the rear pedal, especially with the linked system, no need to use the rear very often.

Buglet

As far as I know it's only links up at 35 MPH and above. The other thing is, is it link only when using the rear brakes?

hattitude

Quote from: Hossamania on March 20, 2022, 08:46:31 AMThank you. A friend has intermittent issue with rear brake locking up, he knows it will happen when his front brake handle suddenly gets hard, then works fine rest of the day.

It certainly sounds like he needs a full system flush, to include the ABS unit, but that blued rear rotor may suggest a sticking rear caliper...

Probably time to inspect and/or clean the rear caliper and the caliper pistons real well...

Hossamania

Quote from: hattitude on March 23, 2022, 07:44:33 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on March 20, 2022, 08:46:31 AMThank you. A friend has intermittent issue with rear brake locking up, he knows it will happen when his front brake handle suddenly gets hard, then works fine rest of the day.

It certainly sounds like he needs a full system flush, to include the ABS unit, but that blued rear rotor may suggest a sticking rear caliper...

Probably time to inspect and/or clean the rear caliper and the caliper pistons real well...

I agree, sadly it has been doing this almost since new, dealer serviced just because he wants no issues with warranty, and hasn't had this resolved yet. Maybe this time.