April 23, 2024, 08:13:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1995 FXDWG front hub cap rattling

Started by 1982fxr, January 12, 2022, 11:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

If I let off the front brake at a stop light it's rattling and driving me nuts.  Stock single disc front end.

I assume the wheel has to come off, what is the fix for this?

This part
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384261911342

rigidthumper

Can't make that noise if left on the bench...
If it isn't designed to spin with the wheel, might try a bead of clear silicone around the center, effectively fixing it to the spacer that holds it in place. Give it a day to set up before riding.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Fugawee

I could be wrong here, but I believe that there is a Rubber "O" Ring that should be on the inboard side of the Hub Cap, and a "Snap-Ring" on the outboard side of the Hub Cap to hold it in place, and hopefully eliminate rattle.  Possibly one or both missing, or defective.
I have an 88' FLSTC with a Hub, that has the O-Ring, and Snap-Ring.  I'm pretty sure that all Models with a Hub Cap had those used up until the mid or later 90's.  The Hub Cap on Mine spins freely with those installed. But no side-to-side, in/out movement.
It might be a little difficult to tell, without removing the front wheel.

Scotty

Yes is supposed to have an o-ring on the inside and a snap ring on the outside
Part numbers 11173 & 11175

But I never saw a FXDWG with a hub cap and it is not stock as they never came with one or it would be in the parts catalogue.

Might be an accessory or aftermarket as they only came on the Softail Heritage and Nostalgia from memory.