April 18, 2024, 01:09:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Inner primary cover fastener #786A

Started by xlfan, January 13, 2022, 04:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Has anyone measured the claimed by the Moco stretch of the 786A after torqued to 25-27 ft/lbs? Which necessitate new fasteners at every dissasembly?

Schex3x

Harley likes selling bolts, never replaced one, you can get new seals for them. I reuse the cover gasket also if it's not damaged, over and over.

https://www.denniskirk.com/genuine-james/inner-primary-seal-for-786a-bolt-31434-06.p140089.prd/140089.sku

Karl H.

A steel bolt in aluminum will never stretch ;-)

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

HighLiner

I would guess it's more of a seal integrity than bolt stretch concern but if you can get new seals I'd run it.

Thermodyne

It's not a stretch issue.  It's about preinstalled thread locker and seals.  It's cheaper for shops to just replace them as opposed to cleaning and reapplying the locker.  You can buy new seals, just not from Harley, last I looked.

Ohio HD

I reuse them and buy the James #31434-06. It's the seal only. The same part number at HD is the bolt and seal. I don't use OEM thread sealant anyway, I use what I chose and how much I want on the fasteners. I clean off the thread sealant from new bolts from HD when I buy them.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Karl H. on January 13, 2022, 11:47:04 PMA steel bolt in aluminum will never stretch ;-)

Karl

I'm sure many (including myself) have discovered this to be TRUE
Tom

Buglet

The worst part is the James seals list for more them what the Harley bolts with the seals sale for.

xlfan

Quote from: Buglet on January 20, 2022, 05:33:04 AMThe worst part is the James seals list for more them what the Harley bolts with the seals sale for.

That might be because the James seals lists for a 10-pack.

Buglet

James retail price list is $3.95 each, not $3.95 for the pack of 10. 786A list for $3.49 each last I check.

SP33DY

Go to Cyco Gaskets, "CY786FKMRED 20 Pack" is $1.76
Cyco Gaskets