March 28, 2024, 04:21:02 AM

News:

Drilling chrome plate

Started by roadkingdresser, January 13, 2022, 06:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

What the best way to drill chrome plated parts? aluminum/pott metal in general.
roadkingdresser

itsafatboy

masking tape over area , then a punch to mark spot , just did this to add a zert fitting on some chrome floor bord shifter side

Fugawee

I have never been a big fan of drilling anything plated, for fear of the plating peeling over time, or while drilling.  I prefer to have the piece/part requiring drilling not attached to anything if possible.  There are those times where it got drilled while still on the Bike.  I usually use a drill press and protect the part with whatever to prevent scratches/gouges but have drilled plenty of pieces with a hand-held one in a vise as well.  I will use painter's tape on and around the area that needs to be drilled and mark the spot.  I would use a spring loaded, or regular punch on the spot to be drilled, so that the drill doesn't dance around.  Sometimes I will start out with a smaller drill bit to get it going, then finish it off with the correct size bit.  Don't go too big, or You may have an issue.  Depending on what Your drilling, whether the piece is flat, round, curved, etc. could be easy or difficult.  Many times while using a Press, or Vise, I will put a scrap block of wood on the side not getting drilled, and just drill thru the piece right into it.  Cleaning up the hole You drilled is a plus.
I have been lucky I guess...over the years I haven't had anything "peel".
Proper planning and preparation, as well as patience is the key.  Having a GOOD drill, and in My opinion, Good and SHARP drill bits, and protecting the part will help You out as well.
Like an Old Supervisor of Mine used to say, "Don't forget Your 6 P's.  Piss Poor Planning Prevents Proper Performance".
I once witnessed a Guy drilling holes in rear fender struts to mount a luggage rack.  He dove right into it.  He did a great job of drilling the holes.  A couple of problems He encountered was that #1, He went right thru His rear lighting wires, and #2, needed to replace His rear tire that now had a real nice 3/8" hole in it.  Forgot the 6 P's.  And No, it wasn't Me.
I'm sure that others will have other suggestions, or recommendations.  But this has worked for Me.
I hope that this may help You a little.  Good Luck.