March 28, 2024, 12:34:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New HD primary chain tensioner

Started by BigT, December 16, 2021, 06:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

I was in the process of installing a new heavy duty clutch ramp and was having a hard time resetting my stock chain tensioner to reinstall it back in the primary. Ends up half of the teeth that are used to ratchet it into position where chewed up. Bought a replacement from HD. The teeth are now made out of plastic! I can't see it holding up to a stock motor never mind a decent built 124"You cannot see attachments on this board.

Hossamania

I'm sure they've done extensive testing for proof of design...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

BigT

December 16, 2021, 06:57:49 PM #2 Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 07:02:10 PM by BigT
Quote from: Hossamania on December 16, 2021, 06:39:55 PMI'm sure they've done extensive testing for proof of design...
It was made in Italy ....better than China I guess. Hopefully the old one was damaged somehow when the compensator shattered and there is normally very little stress on the teeth. The chain was still properly adjusted when I took it apart even with the chewed up teeth.

Hossamania

Quote from: BigT on December 16, 2021, 06:57:49 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on December 16, 2021, 06:39:55 PMI'm sure they've done extensive testing for proof of design...
It was made in Italy ....better than China I guess.

Have you read any reviews of the Alpha Romeo's? They've not made it thru one test without breaking, Italian engineering at its best. Chinese manufacturing is just fine when done well. I'm sure your tensioner will be fine.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Hossamania on December 17, 2021, 08:07:42 AMHave you read any reviews of the Alpha Romeo's? They've not made it thru one test without breaking, Italian engineering at its best. Chinese manufacturing is just fine when done well. I'm sure your tensioner will be fine.

What is the point you are trying to make, that Italian engineering is only as good as a POS automobile?

Lots of fine machinery comes from Italy, Ferrari and Lamborghini come to mind, also some fine woodworking machinery.

When I see Made in China on something it means one thing to me....Junk.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

To The Max

Quote from: Dan89flstc on December 18, 2021, 03:10:50 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on December 17, 2021, 08:07:42 AMHave you read any reviews of the Alpha Romeo's? They've not made it thru one test without breaking, Italian engineering at its best. Chinese manufacturing is just fine when done well. I'm sure your tensioner will be fine.

What is the point you are trying to make, that Italian engineering is only as good as a POS automobile?

Lots of fine machinery comes from Italy, Ferrari and Lamborghini come to mind, also some fine woodworking machinery.

When I see Made in China on something it means one thing to me....Junk.
Maybe Hossamania was remembering when Harley was made in Italy and where a right pile of rubbish ,hay Hoss

Thermodyne

#1.  If the MoCo bought parts from Italy, you can bet it was price point and Fiat quality and not Lambo.

#2.  The teeth on the adjuster ramp don't need to be all that strong, unless the sprocket shaft wobbles.  If that shaft has run out, it will beat the crap out of that adjustment mechanism. 

Ohio HD

Has there been any way overtightened primary chains on the M8 bikes? Meaning like happens a lot? I guess I could see the plastic ratchet as a fail safe if that has been an issues.

A sorry method, but just thinking out loud.

hrdtail78

January 18, 2022, 05:42:41 AM #9 Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:10:23 AM by hrdtail78
You guys better not look at where the primary chain is made.
Semper Fi

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Tom

hrdtail78

They are made by Regina.  Very few are in this market these days.  EK got out.  There is Diamond. But.......  Regina is Italian.
Semper Fi

JSD

:agree: Regina have been used by MCO for ages, I still preferer Diamond