April 16, 2024, 10:12:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2015 hydraulic clutch problem

Started by roadkingdresser, December 15, 2023, 01:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

a freind of mine bought a 2015 freewheeler that has been setting for a while has 837 mi. on it. well he changed all the fluids,checked everything out and took it for a ride. everthing worked great till he went to put gas in it. parked in in gear no e-brake on and the the thing started to roll. well when he got home he called and told me what was going on. so i went out and setting in the garage when 
i tried to push it in gear,it would move but i could feel the motor turning. the next day he went for a ride and i just happen to stop by as he wa getting home. well it was parked in 1 st. gear and that thing would push like it was in nuetral. we pulled the derby cover off and at the end of the clutch hub was a adjuster about the size of a quarter that had backed out ,so we ran it back in and now it goes in gear but it acts like a recluse cluth. but cant get it in nuetral and if you try to drive it the clutch lever goes to the handlebar just after you shift to second. anybody ever run in to this?
roadkingdresser

RoadKingKohn

My first question would be. How old is the brake fluid? It should be changed every two years.

rigidthumper

Go here, and enter the VIN- that will tell you if there was a clutch recall on the hydraulic unit, and when/if the recall was performed.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

roadkingdresser

not sure about the fluid,he's headed to the harley dealer. Can you give me some info on the new clutch cables on the newer bikes? Haven't had any experiance with one yet,but i'm sure it's going to happen. Thanks for the help.
roadkingdresser

FSG

December 15, 2023, 01:35:32 PM #5 Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 03:33:49 PM by FSG
Quote from: roadkingdresser on December 15, 2023, 01:31:17 AMwe pulled the derby cover off and at the end of the clutch hub was a adjuster about the size of a quarter that had backed out ,so we ran it back in and now it goes in gear but it acts like a recluse cluth.

with a hydraulic clutch there shouldn't be an adjuster in there ....

there was a problem a while back where incorrect parts were used at the clutch pack end ....  I don't remember off hand exactly when and what models we involved ......  the memory will kick in after coffee 

it should look similar to this

FSG

roadkingdresser

I don't have any pictures, but on the end there was a adjuster about the size of a quarter had a 13m.m. nut  and screwed in the end of the plate and had 2 small allen bolts to lock it in place, never seen this till then.
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

Only has 3 bolts and springs on the pressure plate.
roadkingdresser

FSG

an assist and slip clutch similar to this then

but it shouldn't have an adjuster .......   we need to see pix 

FSG

new parts for the 2015 trike

with only 837 miles on it and the problems with hyd slave cylinders I'm wondering if someone added a modification to it and then just gave up an let it sit

roadkingdresser

FSG, Looks like that except for there is no bearing inthere and the pushrod isn't visable till you take the pressure plate off. wish we would of takin a picture of it. the harley shop put a new master cylinder and a new pressure plate in. i'll have to look at his bill and see what parts they changed. Thanks.
roadkingdresser

FSG

a cable release plate installed in a hyd clutch .....  is the way I remember it and sounds like what's in that trike .....

coffee hasn't kicked in yet ..... 

roadkingdresser

December 17, 2023, 01:36:31 PM #13 Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 01:47:13 PM by FSG
Well the harley shop took this out and put a stock clutch in. First time i've seen a recluse clutch. They also changed the master cylinder,and told him the clutch was bad. But he put some miles on it and it never slipped. The clutches don't look bad.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

roadkingdresser