March 28, 2024, 03:01:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Unknown tool

Started by Roadwhimp, December 30, 2021, 10:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwhimp

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is used for.  Maybe should be put on the Shovelhead forum but thought I'd start here.  Thanks in advance...

JW113

How big is it? Can't tell the scale of it in the pic.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Fugawee

This is just a guess.  Back in the early 90's, General Motors was researching and building Electric Vehicles.  I believe it was a relatively new program, probably leading up to Today's Electric Vehicle craze.  I wonder if it has something to do with that.  Possibly, it is an actual part, or some type of alignment tool/jig used in the manufacturing, and/or repair.  I believe that GM moved on from the EV1 program, and moved on to EV2, EV3, etc.  Other than that, the only other thing I can come up with is something to do with Andrews Cam's, in their EV types.  Like I said...just a guess.  I have never seen one of those, but the EV1 stamp on it must be there for some reason.
Did You just recently come across that?  Or had it for a while?  I would find it interesting to know just what it is Myself.
Good Luck on the research, I'll bet somebody will know just what it's used for.

Rockout Rocker Products

The fact that some holes are threaded & some are thru suggest to me a puller or press of some kind... like a side door puller for example.  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

xlfan

Does it have bolt patterns to match either side of EVO heads?

A Trock product?

Roadwhimp

Xlfan, you may be on to something.  I was looking through a list of items that this came with.  One of the items is HD head rebuild jib for shovel and evo motors.  Never seen one before just was curious.

Ohio HD

I think you're on to something guys. I know I've seen this tool, but I can't for the life of me remember what it does for sure. It's some form of a fixture.

Fugawee

I just went thru My HD, and GM specialty tools.  Both OEM, and Aftermarket.  I have quite a few pullers, alignment jigs, etc...but nothing that even comes close to looking like that.  I seem to have gotten by without one, but I would like to know what it is also.

FXDBI

Looks like part of a jig to service bushings/bearings or a bore on some mechanical unit. The fact it is casted then machined makes me think its defiantly not a one of.  Bob

wfolarry

It's for surfacing the heads. I have one. Bought it probably 30 years ago. Still using it.  :up:

Fugawee

Well, there You have it...thanks for the answer.  I learned something today.   :up:

Roadwhimp

Thanks for all the replies.  Glad I wasn't the only one stumped.  Also, thank you Wfolarry for getting us straight.

thumpr54

Got any pix of it in operation so I can wrap my head around how it works ?.....please.... :SM:
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

kd

It's proprietary  :teeth:  Next thing you know everyone will have one.  :hyst:
KD

RTMike

It's for head machining you can clamp it to a mill table or hold it in a lathe Chuck,had mine for years,I think it came from Competition Cycles in Texas