New upper clutch cable on 2022 Touring models...

Started by klammer76, January 15, 2022, 02:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

I have heard of 2021 touring clutch cables having issues with the plastic adjuster breaking. As such, Harley obsoleted the 2021 upper cable. Has anyone seen a new 2022 upper cable? Wondering what the change was. Thinking they may have made it adjustable similar to the older cables with threads and nut?

klammer76

January 19, 2022, 08:52:48 PM #1 Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:20:45 PM by FSG
Picture of new 2022 touring, upper clutch cable adjuster.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I think most breaking is by people trying to adjust without knowledge of how-to. I have not seen any and I adjust them almost daily.
Tom

klammer76

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on January 20, 2022, 03:56:48 AMI think most breaking is by people trying to adjust without knowledge of how-to. I have not seen any and I adjust them almost daily.
Very possible. I'm split on them. It's a lot more convienient to change out bars but on my 21 RGS I do have to pull up on the adjuster to take the slack out at the perch. I think some of that is due to the way they have the cable routed.This is also after adjusting the push rod throw out in the clutch. My RGS was impossible to find neutral when I got it. I have adjusted it and is fine now. There must have been issues as they have obsoleted the 21 cable and replaced with this version. Other option available also that still keep the two piece design but uses a threaded adjuster.

HogMike

I find it interesting that Harley had a no problem clutch system in the past but, now they have various "new and improved" designs that never seem to be as reliable and easy to adjust as the simple clutch cables on my older bikes!

They ditched the juice clutch in the past 2 years as they could never get that right either. The early juice clutch worked just fine on my cvo! WTF?

My '19 cvo came with the juice clutch that was non adjustable and I had to go aftermarket to get it right.

New isn't always better IMHO.
 :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JerseyT

January 20, 2022, 05:13:17 PM #5 Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 05:17:42 PM by FSG
What is actually "new and improved" on the new upper cable?  Maybe it's my old eyes, but it looks the same as the '21 cable to me.  :scratch: 

klammer76

Quote from: JerseyT on January 20, 2022, 05:13:17 PMWhat is actually "new and improved" on the new upper cable?  Maybe it's my old eyes, but it looks the same as the '21 cable to me.  :scratch: 
That is actually what I'm trying to find out. Reportedly, there were failures with the 21 cable. This one seems to have a different adjuster on top. Also, the metal piece inside the adjuster is threaded but I see no other adjustment than the auto adjust. I was going to check my 21 cable but bike is covered in the garage and just too damned cold out there right now. Maybe I'll find one on the floor when I'm in the dealership again.

JerseyT

Figured I'd loop back to this thread to answer the question "What's different between the 2021 and updted 2022 upper clutch cable?" just in case someone searches this in the future.

According to the tech at Fat Baggers that I spoke to, Harley made two changes: 1) the tension spring is stiffer (probably to take a bit more slack out of the lever adjustment) and 2) the sidewall thickness of the threaded upper adjuster has been increased (probably to forestall breakage).

FWIW ... I have installed Fat Bagger's "old style" adjuster on my '21 FLHTP and it works perfectly to set free play exactly where I want it.  Very solid unit.

Oclaf

Hydraulic clutch, adjustment, we dont need no stinkin adjustment! Love it...

calif phil

August 04, 2022, 06:19:24 AM #9 Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 06:38:30 AM by Coyote
Quote from: JerseyT on August 03, 2022, 05:25:30 PMFWIW ... I have installed Fat Bagger's "old style" adjuster on my '21 FLHTP and it works perfectly to set free play exactly where I want it.  Very solid unit.

That Fat Baggers piece is the way to go.   :up:

Breeze

I'll wager that cable cost and/or time saved on the assembly line has something to do with a lot of "improvements" that improve things that don't need improving.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.