March 28, 2024, 10:44:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Belt drive limits

Started by Wookie3011, January 15, 2022, 06:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wookie3011

At what HP, TQ is the limit for stock belt drive? Will a Stock HD Belt hold 150-160 Squared?

kd

That totally depends on condition, how it is adjusted and how hard it is shifted.  It didn't hold the 150ish in my RGU for me but the axle kept slipping and I pounded the shifts hard.  Then I got a 530 chain and swingarm, the axle doesn't shift and I pound the shifts.  The new weak spot was it kept stripping the teeth off 3rd gear.  Now I have a GrudgeBox and I have been waiting for over a year to find the new weak spot. It's all connected somehow.  :teeth:
KD

JW113

Agree, depends on the application. If it is for bar hopping or high speed passing, belt is probably fine. If you are drag racing with it, tell me how may Hayabusas you see with belt drive.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

It's quite surprising to see how much abuse they do take without breaking. Until they don't.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Wookie3011

Rite on, does chain conversion require alterations to the swing arm for adjustability? Any recommendations?

Hossamania

January 15, 2022, 07:27:43 PM #5 Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:34:02 PM by Hossamania
Delete, wasn't relative to the specific question.
Do a search here and you may find some answers, and someone will probably chime in shortly.

billbuilds

Quote from: Wookie3011 on January 15, 2022, 07:06:04 PMRite on, does chain conversion require alterations to the swing arm for adjustability? Any recommendations?

Yes, it's my understanding that it does, Can't make a recomendation but check out RB Racing and Trac Dynamics to get an idea of what's available and what RB does to your stock swingarm.

kd

Some folks just use a kit to lock the axle from shifting.  They don't increase the adjustment range.   I use an RB Racing swingarm / chain conversion.  It has a 2" slot for adjustment that allows me to use several sprocket sizes with the same chain.  Quick and easy.  It's not cheap inexpensive but I can't speak highly enough about it.  And that's not just because I have one.  :wink:
KD

rigidthumper

I think the factory adjusters and swingarm are OK on your softail. Kits are available.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Wookie3011

Thank you, while I have it all apart figured I might as well address or eliminate a possible weak link.

Ohio HD

The belts are pretty tough, but enough abuse and they can snap.

Several guys have drag raced with pretty large motors and an OEM belt. They hold up for awhile.

My Ultra will have my current 124" in it with belt drive. My new 124" going into the Street Glide will be chain. It's all in how they get ridden.

Hossamania

I've broken two belts running only 100 horsepower. It was not the belts' fault.
It does make me a little gun shy to bang second gear with a full on redline quick shift.

FXDBI

The weight of the load on the bike will make a difference when hard riding/abusing the bike has well. Bob

Hossamania

So you're saying I'm a load? (I'm not doing the bike any favors...)

Hossamania

Quote from: FXDBI on January 15, 2022, 10:20:56 PMThe weight of the load on the bike will make a difference when hard riding/abusing the bike has well. Bob

Well you don't have to get personal...

FXDBI

Quote from: Hossamania on January 15, 2022, 10:40:07 PM
Quote from: FXDBI on January 15, 2022, 10:20:56 PMThe weight of the load on the bike will make a difference when hard riding/abusing the bike has well. Bob

Nothing personal Hoss just facts bigger the load the more the strain.   Bob

Tireman

I'm still running a belt after 6 years with 124" with not such a light load rider 250# OL 175#. We run it hard but don't abuse it mostly touring. The Trike 117" has taken over for Touring! A broken belt might be in the near future for the 124"!!
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

Deye76

If it's going to be launched on a prepped track, and usually the pulleys and belt are cold, it won't last get a chain. If street use, and the pulleys and belt are warm, and the belt isn't loose, you'll be surprised the abuse a belt will handle
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Quote from: FXDBI on January 15, 2022, 10:47:23 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 15, 2022, 10:40:07 PM

Nothing personal Hoss just facts bigger the load the more the strain.   Bob

There you go again!
 Just giving you a hard time, I strain the hell out of it. Like I said, it wasn't the belt's fault.

Buglet

Like everybody says it's how you drive it. I had two guys one with a stock 88 inch break belts even bent the axle over time and the other stock 96 inch break belt faster the you can install, then went to chain then the transmission went out. Both guys abuse there bikes bar hopping.

Hossamania

A friend is running a '20 Ultra 114 stage 2, loves launching burnouts, he has now learned how to do wheelies. I expect the belt is not long for this world.

Wookie3011

Sounds like chain will be a good idea. I ride hard and pound on it. Redline shifts sideways corners. That's what I needed to know.

jsachs1

I built a 143 cu. in. S&S engine, a little over 170 h.p. It's in a 2012 CVO Street Glide, owned and ridden by a 300 + lb. rider. Never broke a belt, and it CONSTANTLY gets tortured. It also has a bulletproof clutch.
John

billbuilds

Quote from: jsachs1 on January 17, 2022, 02:07:37 PMI built a 143 cu. in. S&S engine, a little over 170 h.p. It's in a 2012 CVO Street Glide, owned and ridden by a 300 + lb. rider. Never broke a belt, and it CONSTANTLY gets tortured. It also has a bulletproof clutch.
John

Curious as to whether this guy has the stock rear axle and adjuster setup or something aftermarket to keep axle in place?

Wookie3011

Quote from: jsachs1 on January 17, 2022, 02:07:37 PMI built a 143 cu. in. S&S engine, a little over 170 h.p. It's in a 2012 CVO Street Glide, owned and ridden by a 300 + lb. rider. Never broke a belt, and it CONSTANTLY gets tortured. It also has a bulletproof clutch.
John
Interesting, is there a more robust unit that one can go to or does HD have this nailed already?