March 28, 2024, 06:24:01 AM

News:

Belt drive limits

Started by Wookie3011, January 15, 2022, 06:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

:doh:  I just realized that most responses to this thread have been about touring bike swingarms.  Rigidthumper seems to be the only one that noticed "Softail" in the OP's avatar signature. The opening post did not identify the motorcycle particulars.  This is a good example of not posting the details of the motorcycle when asking a technical question.  Most of the responses (including mine) can go straight into the dumper because they are irrelevant to Softail swingarms and will only confuse the OP. 
KD

rigidthumper

Pretty sure Street Glide belts are wider/stronger than Softail belts...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Wookie3011

Yes, I should have posted its a softail. Sorry about that. So softails have narrower belts.

Buglet

Both bikes I talk about that were breaking belt were Softtails one was with a wide stock belt 2000 and the other one was with a stock narrow belt 2009 and both were Springer's.

jmorton10

I stripped the teeth off of 2 stock belts before switching to a chain.  I'm not a normal rider however.  I beat the cr@p out of my 124 & shift with a Pingel air shifter.  I also broke 3 trannies before installing a Baker Grudgebox. I have a Bandit Sportsman clutch also.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

So, not the belt's fault?

::)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

As John Morton pointed out, there is more to worry about belts than them breaking. They are made of rubber, and what is holding back all that torque on the pulley? Rubber. Is there any question that steel is stronger than rubber? Sure, I get it, some folks don't seem to have an issue with big torque and belts. But it seems a common mindset in the HD world that when you start building up the motor for high HP and TQ, you need to upgrade everything else down steam to handle it, else you will find the weak link someplace. Just my opinion here, but belt = risky, chain not so much.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

jmorton10

Another advantage of a chain is they sure are a hell of a lot easier to change than a belt.....

Of course, as I found out on the dragstrip years ago, if you do manage to break a chain that can do a hell of a lot of damage.  When I snapped one airshifting when carrying the front wheel in 2nd gear it took out the entire primary & destroyed the tranny lol.

They said, lets go racing, it'll be fun........

~John 

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 18, 2022, 02:26:51 PMAnother advantage of a chain is they sure are a hell of a lot easier to change than a belt.....

Of course, as I found out on the dragstrip years ago, if you do manage to break a chain that can do a hell of a lot of damage.  When I snapped one airshifting when carrying the front wheel in 2nd gear it took out the entire primary & destroyed the tranny lol.

They said, lets go racing, it'll be fun........

~John 

:hyst:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Yup, with big power and heavy bikes the downstream components have to do the work.  If you continually overload them it'll bite you. Chains can still break too but I'll bet the chains now are WAYYY different than the one John shot out the back  like a road snake.  We used to buy chain by the roll at the farm supply and change them lots.  Everyone I knew had full and half master links with them.  The new 530 link I use now was adjusted once after it was run in and not again.  No stretch like the old days. Somehow I think I am glad that I don't live near John.   I was killing belts and transmissions at the same rate he was.  We are the same age and I haven't grown up yet either.  :hyst: 
KD

jmorton10

LOL, I got talked into/dragged to a H.S. reunion some years back.  I would never have gone but my wife basically dragged me to it & I ended up having a blast.

It started at a bar & I ran into some dudes I hadn't seen in years but I always remembered as being good people. Somebody started buying shots & it got pretty rowdy.  This guy I knew in HS was getting pretty carried away but it was funny as hell.  Finally, this chic I knew from HS but never liked said very loudly "jesus christ Ben, why don't you grow up a little"??  His response was classic: He said "well Sue, my motto has always been you can only be young once but you can be immature forever"!! He later amended that to her stating "or you can still be a c*** same as you where in HS" LOL LOL LOL

At that point, she got so pissed she dragged her husband out (some poor sap that nobody knew) & burned rubber out of the parking lot.  That drew a round of applause from everybody there.  Later in the night, a chic I never really knew but had been super popular in HS said to me "thank your buddy for all of us, we never liked her either lol"

~John

Wookie3011

January 18, 2022, 09:53:53 PM #36 Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:32:47 PM by Wookie3011
Her Husband was probably living vicariously through you that night. Poor guy :hyst: I know I've dated a few of those gals. I'm no gem either however. I'm looking at conversion kits for softail. Is there anything specific I should look for? Does the shifting axel still a issue with 2016 softails 200mm tire? I do like the easy factor of being able to pull a sprocket for different ratios. I'm sure a grudgebox is in my future. I have read a few that send off 3rd gear to have it annealed. What's the consensus on effectiveness with softening 3rd vs grudgebox?

Wookie3011

I ordered Vulcanworks 4651   Softail Chain Conversion Kit, 2008-2017 6 Speed
Options:
Sprocket-Size:   51T
Transmission Sprocket:   24T
Sprocket-Finish:   Black
Chain-Color:   Black/Chrome X-Ring

Really liked there billet rocker bases I got.

JSD

I use a S&S belt its meant to be stronger, I cant remember who makes em for S&S its hasn't stretched yet on a Hopped up TC 107 . By the way its 1.250 wide & Running 33 Baker F and stock 70 R