May 01, 2024, 10:29:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Header pipe choice

Started by lucasg, February 14, 2022, 08:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucasg

Morning Gents,

I'd really appreciate some advice or help on head pipe selection for my 2012 FLHTK. It's basically stock right now with only Rinehart 4" slip on mufflers along with a stage 1 SE intake/filter going on before I pick it up in spring at Harley dealership that stored it over the winter for me.    The dealer is also adding the SE Tuner and doing a flash download.  I am considering either Vance and Hines Power Duals or the S&S Power Tune headers for my bike.  Anyone have any experience with either one?  Both look very nice on the Touring models and seem to be quite popular.  Just wondering if one of them has any advantage or disadvantage over the other ?  Any sound differences  ?   Also, wanted to ask will I need another tune to go with the head pipe  install  as I'm having an Indy shop install some Chubby Wild 1 10" bars along with the head pipes later in spring.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated...👍

lucasg

Thanks moderators, didn't realize it belongs in General Topic;  😀

kd

The one characteristic I recognize on the head pipes of the best performing systems per dyno reports is the way the rear pipe exits the exhaust port.  Most (almost all) of the top handful of pipes the near header makes a wider arc as it makes the turn.  One of the two you have chosen is better at that. 

If you are looking at other options, that is one thing I personally look for.  More recently, stepped header pipes seem to be popular at controlling exhaust gas velocity.  Both of your pics have the full size cross over (which I personally see as beneficial) but be aware of possible clearance issues.
KD

lucasg

Thanks KD, yes I've heard for aggressive riders that really like to lean into right turns either of these pipes can easily scrape. 

harpwrench

The stock pipe works pretty good when the cat is removed, unless you're just doing it for a different look there's a lot better things to spend the money on. IMO

92flhtcu

it will need to be re-tuned after you replace the header pipe or if you de-cat the original
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

One benefit of a different header pipe, or even de-catting the oem pipe is less heat, but it will need a tune either way.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

lucasg

Hey fellas;  thanks very much for all your advice and replies.  I was under the assumption that the download or flash that the dealer will be doing for the stage 1 SE filter/intake plus the Rinehart slip ons would still be okay if I was to add the V&H Power Duals a couple weeks later as I'm having an Indy closer to home do the install ?  But I guess it'll be much more free flowing without the cat .... Thanks again...much appreciated.