April 18, 2024, 09:23:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ohlins: Remote reservoir or no?

Started by Eccool, January 17, 2022, 08:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

An acquaintance will let me have a set of new in the box Screaming Eagle Ohlins shocks with the remote reservoir for $1200.  I looked on Ohlins website and the ones without the remote reservoir can be had for $950.  I'm just looking for a more comfortable ride when two up touring on my 19 Ultra Limited.  Will the remote reservoir make a difference in comfort?  I know they may be more adjustable, but once it's set I'm highly unlikely to fiddle with it.  Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.  Thanks!

Nastytls

Remote reservoir will not make a difference in comfort level. Many ( most ) people would be hard pressed to tell any difference at all in ride quality.

FloridaJim5

January 17, 2022, 04:07:14 PM #2 Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:13:41 PM by FloridaJim5
Since the divider piston has been moved to the remote reservoir, the shock has more travel potentially offering a better ride.

harpwrench

Depends on what you're comparing them to, a separated gas shock without the external reservoir will have less travel because the separator piston takes up space in the shock body. The cheaper emulsion shock would have the full travel but you lose the adjustable rebound. If you travel rougher roads when 2-up then yes the more expensive ones are going to ride better (if they're dialed in well)

jmorton10

I suppose in theory the separated ones should ride better.

I have run both however. I ride pretty hard & as far as I could tell the ride quality was exactly the same (I am not running the separated ones now)

~John 
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Nastytls

Ohlins suspension is high quality equipment. Even the basic model will be vastly superior to anything HD has ever made. I currently own a Dyna with the remote reservoir Ohlins and a Road Glide with standard, non reservoir Ohlins. I didn't own these yrs apart, I own them now, concurrently. There is no perceivable difference other than the remote res looks pretty cool. On a track bike where maximum performance is needed and it's attached to a chassis that can take advantage ofd it, I would spend the extra money. On a road bike, you won't know the difference. It's your money and either way you'll be very happy with the improved ride quality.

kd

Quite a difference in weight and chassis set-up between a Dyna and a Road Glide.  Two different shocks on two different bikes.  Apples and oranges I think.
KD

Nastytls

More like a Fuji vs. a Honeycrisp... :wink:

BigT

I'm running Legend shocks with remote reservoirs and I've had Ohlins without remotes in the past.  I find the ride better with the remote reservoirs but you need to spend the time to make sure they are adjusted properly.

04 SE Deuce

Touring models are short on travel...the 14mm that the separating piston reduces travel can be a benefit...given (like has been said already) everything is right or comparing same-same otherwise. 
Not familiar with the SE Ohlins but the Ohlins suspension that comes OE on some Triumph models is lower grade stuff compared to same item after-marketed by Ohlins.

Eccool

Quote from: 04 SE Deuce on January 27, 2022, 09:00:21 PMTouring models are short on travel...the 14mm that the separating piston reduces travel can be a benefit...given (like has been said already) everything is right or comparing same-same otherwise. 
Not familiar with the SE Ohlins but the Ohlins suspension that comes OE on some Triumph models is lower grade stuff compared to same item after-marketed by Ohlins.

That's good to know.  I just assumed the SE version was the same as Ohlins offers.  Does anyone know if they are the same?  Thanks!

jmorton10

No, they are not the same. The Ohlins are ordered for the correct spring for the riders weight/conditions of usage etc.

The SE use general use springs etc. & are not specific to the individual rider.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

buell95

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 30, 2022, 07:45:37 PMNo, they are not the same. The Ohlins are ordered for the correct spring for the riders weight/conditions of usage etc.

The SE use general use springs etc. & are not specific to the individual rider.

~John

Last I knew Ohlins only offers a couple different springs for the touring shocks. Basically a standard and heavy duty. Forgot the spring numbers.
At least that is what Matt Sage
From Ohlins USA told me.
Never could get the ride the way I wanted on my 357 shocks.
Ended up selling them and went Fox. Much better ride.
Still running the Ohlins inverted front end though.

Deye76

Not a expert on shocks, but a search reveals, "remote reservoir shocks are designed with an external reservoir that increases fluid capacity. This increase in capacity helps lower fluid temperature, thus offering the ability to blast over rough terrain without experiencing shock fade." I doubt the majority will push their road sofas to the point that they will overheat their shocks. But the reservoir's look trick.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP