Requesting experienced eyes on opinions- heads/cylinders

Started by hattitude, January 21, 2022, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on January 25, 2022, 08:44:32 AMAnd the problem started with the cam plate.  Get another one. That's what Larry is sayin'.

I did.... Maybe I didn't explain it right....

The bike obviously was delivered with an OEM 88" cam plate. When I did the tensioner upgrade, I switched to an '07+ cam plate with conversion cams...

While chasing the "tick", I then changed the new '07+ cam plate to an S&S TC3 cam plate & oil pump..

And just like a Timex, it was still ticking...

Don D

The noise..
Perhaps you have a bad piston oiler that is hung open. It would have an affect on the lifter oil supply, at least at low speeds.

wfolarry

When you send the heads out he'll be able to tell if you had something like a sticking valve when he tears them apart. Since you'll have the top end off you'll need to do a little closer inspection on everything. Look for wear & measure fore size/clearance.

I'll tell you another ticking story [I have a lot  :teeth: ]
On another bike that we were chasing a noise on we warmed up the motor to get it to start ticking then started inspecting. With the plugs out & turning the motor over by hand the rear exhaust valve would hesitate [stick] then snap shut. A valve job cured it.
New story tomorrow.  :smiled:

hattitude

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 25, 2022, 06:08:53 PMThe noise..
Perhaps you have a bad piston oiler that is hung open. It would have an affect on the lifter oil supply, at least at low speeds.

I'll be calling you soon to discuss options...

Right now dealing with some family issues that popped up... but they are resolving well, and I'll be back working on that bike shortly...

tbird

inner chain, did you install a new inner chain? I chased similar ticking for yrs. inner chain fixed mine

Don D

Sounds good, I see a lot of stuck valves as Larry describes.

hattitude

Quote from: tbird on January 26, 2022, 07:21:38 AMinner chain, did you install a new inner chain? I chased similar ticking for yrs. inner chain fixed mine

When I did the original tensioner upgrade, I went to an '07+ cam plate, conversion cams, and went with the new inner and outer roller chains... I admit, when I switched to the newer S&S TC3 cam plate and oil pump, I reused the new roller chains that I bought for the conversion...

Was the inner chain binding...??? Could you tell by inspecting it that something was wrong with it...??  Since the bike is torn down, I could go back into the cam chest for the 4th time, or would it be the 5th......  I loose track...

I look at this whole "issue" as a big learning project. I wouldn't be so calm about it if I didn't have my other bikes to ride...

hattitude

I had a long talk with Don (HD Street Performance) this morning. He was very generous with his time and his knowledge.

Much was discussed..... I took up way too much of his time.. but I learned a bunch...

Don guided me through an inspection of the front piston. wfolarry was correct. It was just the lighting in the picture that made the rings look upside down.  At least the rings weren't installed wrong...  :up:

Don asked many questions about the timeline and progression of events in my quest to stop the ticking. He also asked specific questions about the ticking noise. 

After our discussion, he believes (as did wfolarry) that a valve job will probably clear up the ticking noise... Don also explained how using seafoam could have loosened carbon particles that caused the few scratches I can feel amongst the "normal wear marks" on the cylinder walls...

I was given homework, well, more like a few things to check while I'm this deep into the engine. 

Bottom line, I'm going to send off my heads, and cylinders to Don. Unless some of the checks I was given to perform, or Don's inspection of parts shows something outside what was discussed, it looks like I'll be good with a valve job, cylinder bore & hone, and new pistons/rings.

I have a feeling this will put my engine in "good as new" condition and I won't have to take it apart again in the near future...

I'll report back when all is done, the engine is reassembled, I've had a chance to break it in, and test run it...

I appreciate all the comments and assistance...

Coff 06

Don has helped me through 2 builds.Very knowledgeable is an understatement.Seems to always make you feel like your his only customer at the time,never hurried,polite and explains things in a way you can understand.Good people.        Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118