April 23, 2024, 09:06:38 AM

News:

SE 204 cam

Started by Tynker, January 21, 2022, 05:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

My friend has a '99 RK, with only 40K miles,all his... He is replacing the cam plate with a SE Hydraulic one. He purchased the 204 cams from local HD dealer, along with lifters. push rods,high flow oil pump and covers.What can he expect out of this cam ?? I had suggested a 203 cam, but they are on back order till maybe MARCH.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Scotty

A nice exhaust note and that's about it unless it's got a 95" and added compression.

Hossamania

That cam will come into the power at mid range and up, not much improvement over stock in the low end, it's a decent cam, sounds good. As mentioned, it could use a bump in compression and displacement, but it will work. If he tends to lug the motor and not use the rpms, he might not care for it. It likes to be in the mid range and up when accelerating. No two up loaded hill climbing in 5th gear at 55 mph.
Carb or injected? Is he changing the ignition (recommended) if carbed, flash tuning if injected?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

smoserx1

One thing he will get is some tensioner reliability and a set of cams that should last a good while.  That would be enough for me.

Tynker

Thanks, but a new problem popped up today. The wrong(up dated) cam sprocket was sent in the cam kit. 99s take a sprocket with a upset ring for the cam timing sensor, the new set is set for a roller chain/sprockets. his dealer found a NOS one at a out of state dealer,and it should be here next Thursday.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Ohio HD

Why not return that cam set and use an Andrews 26 conversion set? It'll work great with an 88" and can be used in a 95" if later that's desired.

Hossamania

I'm assuming carburetor, question remains, what is happening with the ignition?

mkd

andrews 26n cam in my 2005 95 cu. in. flat top. stock heads, dyno tune SE tuner, 80 hp and 90 ft lbs tq. very happy with the low end improvement and improved rideability.

Hossamania

Some people want to stick with HD product.
Tinker, is your friend dead set on the SE cams, or is he open to changing plans?
Everybody always has a better plan, "Oh, you should have done this instead."
I'm guilty of it as well, I just try to curb my opinions a little more, and help make their choice work.

smoserx1

Here is something else too since you will be working on a 99.  if he has an early style engine case There is a hole in the cam plate you must block off or oil pressure to the engine will be compromised.  Those instructions don't explain it very well except state "Cam Support Plate Oil Control Kit 94667-00
(1999 Dyna and Touring models only)" is required.  Andrews has very good instructions about this here: (read the last page)

https://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/assets/Cams_conversion_chain-01.pdf

Here is a pic of my cam plate that shows the hole blocked off (left side of photo about half way up, button head torx screw)
You cannot see attachments on this board.

tdrglide

I really liked the SE204 cams in a later 96". Probably work well in a 95" too if he ever decides to go that way.

Scotty

Quote from: tdrglide on January 23, 2022, 11:20:37 AMI really liked the SE204 cams in a later 96". Probably work well in a 95" too if he ever decides to go that way.

They actually work well in a 103 but in a 88 there is no way of being nice about it or talking bull they will be very disappointing compared to the stock cam.

tdrglide

smoserx1

QuoteThe wrong(up dated) cam sprocket was sent in the cam kit. 99s take a sprocket with a upset ring for the cam timing sensor, the new set is set for a roller chain/sprockets.

With the SE Hybrid kit you are supposed to use the old outer chain and sprockets on the outside of the cam plate if the bike has a cam position sensor even with a hydraulic tensioner.  That information is buried deep in the instructions sheet of the hybrid kit.  Harley never made a roller chain sprocket with that ring/ridge.  Seems counterproductive but the old style chain is used with a hydraulic tensioner on the inside with all applications of that kit.  If the NOS part the dealer found is wrong, Andrews has a roller chain sprocket that will work (pn 216015) enabling the roller chain to be used on the outside of the plate.

Hossamania

Would a DTT ignition eliminate the need for a cam position sensor?

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on January 24, 2022, 05:27:35 AMWould a DTT ignition eliminate the need for a cam position sensor?

Yes, I have that on my 2000 heritage
 :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

smoserx1

QuoteWould a DTT ignition eliminate the need for a cam position sensor?

Yes Hoss, it will.  Also any superseeded stock module (part number ending with an "A" or later) does not need the CPS either.  I found that out the hard way after I did my conversion cams on my 99.  I paid extra for that special Andrews sprocket and did not need it.  I had already  replaced the stock ignition module a couple of years before cause the original one bit the dust.  Then I read the CPS was no longer needed so I disconnected it and it has run fine for many years and thousands of miles since.  The only bike that really has to have it anymore is a twin cam with MM fuel injection cause that module controls fuel delivery as well as spark.

Tynker

Just read some  of the above comments, thanks guys. It does have the MM injection,UGH. It is also stock ign.. Bike ran great, but the stock spring tensioners needed to be replaced, as they were about half way worn. Thanks about blocking the oil hole. Instructions noes not say anything about it.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Hossamania

What are you doing for tuning once the cams are in?

Tynker

I think he will be using the local HD for the tune.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tynker

Well the job has been done. He opted for a Cobra tuner. He said the bike runs great,and he is not a LUGGER,LOL. I heard it yesterday,and it does sound a lot better.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere