April 16, 2024, 12:55:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Do I need to replace the cam bearing when I replace the oil pump and cam plate s

Started by FranBunnyFFXII, January 21, 2022, 06:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

KD

FranBunnyFFXII

Quick question considering things.
When you pull the bearing out and put a new one in, do you bottom out the bearing or do you have to measure it some how?
I've seen videos of people doing installs both ways. Is there a risk to gently bottoming it out?

EDIT I just realized on the Fuelmoto website, the cam bearing tool I ordered, they say it sets it to the proper depth automatically.
I guess ill just follow the instructions and replace that cam bearing while Im in there.
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

hrdtail78

I don't see how removing a cam and reinstalling it can damage these bearings.  Yeah, the bearing is a press fit but not the cam into the bearing.  If reinstalling the cam can damage the bearing.  Wouldn't installing a cam on a set of new bearings run the same risk?

Bearing are cheap.  That and liability reasons.  I replace them 95% of the time I am in the cam chest.
Semper Fi

cheech

Quote from: Hossamania on January 25, 2022, 08:38:11 AMPost #15, 16, 17
That was my point.  :SM:

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on January 21, 2022, 06:06:44 PMHe said they replace it everytime they take a cam out because it gets pressed in and pulling the cam out and putting it back in can cause a re-used bearing to fail.
He continued by telling me that not replacing it, even though I'm not introducing a new cam, could mean It could fail and I'd be looking at a potential engine failure.
IMO, highly unlikely. Just a cheap preventative ordeal as you're in there.
But if the bearing did fail, it's because it was already going to. Not because you slid a cam in and out of it.

Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 25, 2022, 11:50:54 AMI don't see how removing a cam and reinstalling it can damage these bearings.  Yeah, the bearing is a press fit but not the cam into the bearing.  If reinstalling the cam can damage the bearing.  Wouldn't installing a cam on a set of new bearings run the same risk?

Bearing are cheap.  That and liability reasons.  I replace them 95% of the time I am in the cam chest.
:up:  :up:  :up:

FranBunnyFFXII

I appreciate all the advice, and help with the insight on this oil pump upgrade. Sadly though I've run out of time and don't have the space and luxury to swap out the pump at this time. It's too damn cold here as well, and I'm not going to pay a dealer to install it. I'm about to put my bike on hold for in a week-ish from now so swapping the pump wont really matter until later. I probably wont be back to doing any serious riding for months.

I'll swap the pump and camplate when the weather has warmed up and I have time again.

FranBunnyFFXII

Just an update on everything here.

I Installed the Screamin Eagle Oilpump and camplate kit for my bike, so my engine is updated.
while I was in there I replaced the Bearing with a Koyo needle bearing from FuelMoto USA with the FuelMoto USA tool.

I did also install a Stage 2 Cam, the SE8 447 cam, but not because of advice, but because I found one on Ebay that looked pretty damn new, that came out of a 2019 Road Glide that had 1800 Miles on it.. for 68$ shipped to me. I couldnt say no. 68$ for a cam upgrade.

Id id have huge massive problem though, that ended up being an expensive problem.
I broke a Tappet Cuff bolt, and had no way to safely remove it.
I bit the bullet, and called a local cycle shop to come get the bike, take it to their shop, extract the bolt with the Tig Weld method and brought the bike back.

I wasnt aware of the method FuelMoto uses to make extracting these bolts easy so here it is for anyone else: https://university.fuelmotousa.com/article/h-d-milwaukee-8-lifter-tappet-cuff-bolt-removal-tips/

So now my M8 Fat Boy 114 is now Stage 2 with an SE Cam chest.
SE Oilpump and camplate, SE Torque Cam, SE adjustable Pushrods and tubes, SnS tappet Cuffs, Feuling Pinion sprocket, Feuling Camchain, Tune provided by FuelMoto USA and re-tuned with a Dynojet PowerVision.

I started the install of everything with 7460miles on the bike, and did an oil change and primary fluid change at 7500 Miles.
So dont make the mistake I did. Heat those tappet cuff bolts up, or potentially suffer this little nightmare.

Pictures:

sandrooney

Patience is such a waste of time .

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: sandrooney on July 16, 2022, 03:01:10 AMNever heard of a softail sumping. Was yours sumping?
I have no idea, but it was late 2017 date of manufacturer.
When I pulled the sump plug to install the fueling short sump plug a substantial amount of oil came out. I know there's always some in there but it was definitely more than I expected.
Regardless, updated pump was a good idea as to be able to run the trask checkm8 and I installed the Feuling short sump plug so that if there was any sumping issue, its resolved.

SP33DY

Quote from: SP33DY on January 22, 2022, 07:16:05 AM
Quote from: Buglet on January 22, 2022, 06:04:48 AMI would wait until you decide on what cam you going to use. The less times you take it apart the better of you are. As far as the cam bearing goes I haven't seen any fail yet, but if you going in there you should replace it, also the less times you press it in and out the better it is.

I have not seen an inner cam bearing failure in an M8 YET but I'm sure they're coming. Ever since the facory introduced the half complement bearing in the late Shovelhead years, I have seen and repaired a lot of those failures. They aren't pretty and the collateral damage is expensive.

I just replaced a set of M-8 cases for a customer two weeks ago. The INA cam bearing fell apart and debris stuck a lifter solidly in its bore. Do you want to roll the dice?