April 16, 2024, 05:40:43 AM

News:

EV27 Camshaft

Started by dubepj, January 23, 2022, 10:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Wish to change my Cam.  I believe that I will remove the old gear and use on the new cam.  How do I make sure I install gear in correct orientation?  Sorry for my ignorance.  Is there a keyway?

Buglet

There no key in there. Your best bet is to scribe lines on the gear each side of the slot that's cut in the cam.

JW113

You can and try to eyeball it as Buglet suggests, I've done it. Never felt exactly happy about it, though. They make a fixture to align and press the gear on. A shop that works on single cam engines might have one, it's a 2 minute job if they do.

OR, measure the two gears (stock and Andrews) and see how close the Andrews is the stock gear. You can either get the two .108" gauge pins, or in a pinch use two 7/64 drill shanks. Yes I know, those are .109", but it's close enough to make an A/B comparison between the two gears.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Deye76

When I installed a EV27 I used the gear that came on it. Along with new lifters from WFO Larry (vendor here), very quiet. I thought about using the OE gear, for about a minute, LOL. Had the same experience using the gears that came on a Crane, and a S&S.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: dubepj on January 23, 2022, 10:32:29 AMWish to change my Cam.  I believe that I will remove the old gear and use on the new cam.  How do I make sure I install gear in correct orientation?  Sorry for my ignorance.  Is there a keyway?

There are tools specific for this very operation. The fact that you are asking this question indicates that you probably do not have the experience to do this, at least not with any accuracy. You should either use the gear that comes on the cam from Andrews or pay a grey beard at an indi shop to do for you.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

wfolarry

Andrews cams are coded Red. This puts them right in the middle of the range. When you pull your cam cover off look for a paint marking on the pinion gear. This will tell you what size it is. A tight fit whines while a loose fit ticks. Pick your poison.  :smiled:

Ratfade

I just installed an EV 27 cam on my '94 Electra Glide. It's not the answer to your question, but I used the gear that came with the cam; I could not be happier with the performance.

JW113

It's easy enough to try and see. Just put the cam in the case without the nose cone seal or spacer, and see how the teeth mesh with the pinion gear. The cam should be able to slide in and out without binding. If it does, cam gear is too big and will whine. Then take a finger and wiggle the cam gear against the pinion in a rotating motion. If you hear the teeth going Click Click Click, it's too small and will make a lot of clicking noise while the engine is running. If it's "close to perfect", the cam gear will rotate ever so little on the pinion gear teeth, not enough to really hear, but you'll feel it on your finger tip.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

1340evo

It may be easier to change the gear on the crank to get the right fit if you need to ;)

RTMike

Just take the bike to a shop that can install the cam and check the backlash on the cam and pinion gear,and have the tools and knowledge to deal with it. :slap:

Buglet

I've change the gear on the cam with a good heat gun you can pull it a side it on, just have to be quick. As far as checking the gear lash it should be check eight times, every 90* with motor turn two complete revolutions to see if there is any tight or loose spots on either gear.

Son of PMS

I had a nearby Indy swap gears for me. Cost $10.

superglide

Just scribe the gear and cams and press off and on with a press.  I have done this with great success and no issues.  Simply try not to overthink it as its not complicated if you use common sense.