April 30, 2024, 06:46:22 PM

News:

Question on CP 98" Pistons

Started by billbuilds, January 26, 2022, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I would even the chambers out in the heads regardless of what the pistons weight or how they come back. That's part of the making things correct.

billbuilds

You're right, I really should get those chambers evened out. Will I need to strip the head or will it be less involved than that? Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

billbuilds

The pistons arrived back from Fuel Moto today. Jim did a great job machining the dome volume down to about 9.9:1 compression. I figured that equates to a 2.7ccdome volume. The pistons each weight exactly 394.3 grams.
A big thanks to Jamie and Jim at Fuel Moto for the great service.  :up:   
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Ohio HD

Quote from: billbuilds on February 12, 2022, 04:56:05 PMThe pistons arrived back from Fuel Moto today. Jim did a great job machining the dome volume down to about 9.9:1 compression. I figured that equates to a 2.7ccdome volume. The pistons each weight exactly 394.3 grams.
A big thanks to Jamie and Jim at Fuel Moto for the great service.  :up:   

:up:  :up:

Ohio HD

If it's my head, I take it down after machining and clean it up. Get two new valve seals and and move forward.

Buglet

Now that you have your pistons back did you gat a chance to install them a check the deck height to see if they are both the same. If they are not then the cylinder would have to get machine so they are even.

wfolarry

You're overthinking the .5cc.
You would be lucky to be that close when the engine is assembled.
Put it together & run it.

billbuilds

Quote from: wfolarry on February 14, 2022, 05:38:25 AMYou're overthinking the .5cc.
You would be lucky to be that close when the engine is assembled.
Put it together & run it.

Thanks, Larry. I was wandering/thinking along those lines as well.

I have not had a chance to check the deck height yet and I do have a question or two there: Installing the pistons  in cylinders w/o the rings, do I need to shim the piston to cylinder wall to get an accurate measurement? I know it should be clean but should cylinder wall be lubricated some too as this time? 

kd

February 14, 2022, 08:23:39 AM #33 Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:24:01 PM by kd
For me fitting the piston to the bore with a layer of painter's masking tape before you mount them to the rods works well.  Just snug enough to prevent them from rocking in the bore. Oil will release the glue on the tape so no more the enough to keep the air from causing oxidation should be used (before and after). A clean oily towel should do it but not an oil soaked one.  Do the final scrub and re-oil just before final assembly.
KD

jsachs1

Quote from: kd on February 14, 2022, 08:23:39 AMFor me fitting the piston to the bore with a layer of painter's masking tape before you mount them to the rods works well.  Just snug enough to prevent them from rocking in the bore. Oil will release the glue on the tape so no more the enough to keep the air from causing oxidation should be used (before and after). A clean oily towel should do it but not an oil soaked one.  Do the final scrub and recoil just before final assembly.
When using tape, don't wrap it below the ring lands, and be sure the ends are NOT overlapped when you're finished wrapping. :wink:  1/4 " wide tape works best.
John

kd

:up: Also the colored painter tape (as opposed to general masking tape) has less aggressive glue that works well and doesn't leave hard to remove residue.
KD

Garfield

:up:   I use the ScotchBlue   :SM:

billbuilds

Thanks for the replies. I have both blue and yellow painters tape. a little wide but nothing a pair of long blade scissors won't fix. If it'd just warm to the mid to upper thirties I could work in the garage. Didn't get out of the teens yesterday and at 8:03AM EST it's -3F. Contact cleaner is nasty stuff and I refuse to use it in the house/basement. Supposed to get near 50F Thursday. Tom Petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part. 

billbuilds

The piston pins that I need won't be available to ship from the manufacturer until at least 3/23. Bummer

Ohio HD

Bill, I made a post in Marketplace to see if anyone may have ideas as to where you might acquire these.

HTT Marketplace

billbuilds

Thanks Brian,
     I don't recall the supplier that I spoke with yesterday (it wasn't Summit Racing) but he called Diamond to see if they might have a couple kicking around and was told that these are THE most backordered pin that they manufacture. I appreciate your help, Bill