April 19, 2024, 07:00:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question on CP 98" Pistons

Started by billbuilds, January 26, 2022, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

The CP 98" pistons come in four different compression ratios. Is there anywhere to go to get a visual of what the domes look like on the midddle two? I'm pretty that what I got aren't 9.5-1 but I can't tell whether they're 10-1 or 10.25-1. 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Ohio HD

CP generally supplies a spec sheet that tells you the cc of the piston dome. Also they'll list the height of the dome.

Here's a sample from the latest pistons I ordered.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

billbuilds

I did not receive any paperwork with my return parts. Not even a receipt.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Coff 06

It's been a long time ago.When I bought my CP 98" the box was marked #98-10 to designate 10cc domes
Did you even get a box?          Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Ohio HD

I'm assuming that who ever you got these from isn't being helpful. So I'd call CP Carrillo tomorrow and ask then how to identify what you have. I'm sure they're technical support guys can give you some physicals measurements you could take. 

billbuilds

Ok I found the piston spec sheet on the pistons in the box so pardon me for misspeaking.  :embarrassed: I am not technically educated enough to be able to decipher the compression ratio from the available info so I'll call CP later today
There is no receipt however and after an email exchange it appears that he does not feel that one is warrented.  :scratch:

No Coff, there was no piston box. The rings were installed on the pistons and the pistons were just set into the top of the cylinders so that they rested on the bottom oil rail.     

Don D

The bullet series 98" pistons come in flat top, 3,6, and 10cc domes. These are shelf stock and based on CPs bullet series forging, a slipper skirt.

Jamie Long

On the bottom of the piston there should be two numbers; the CP job number and the piston part number (assuming its a standard CP shelf piston). The CP 98" pistons have the following designations:

BHM98FT -1.6cc 9.5:1 compression
BHM98-3 +3cc 10.0:1 compression
BHM98-6 +6cc 10.25:1 compression
BHM98-10 +10cc 10.75:1 compression

billbuilds

I just got off the phone with a gentleman at Campbell Enterprises. He asked for the p/n on the spec sheet which is BHM98-10 (thanks Jamie Long). So this guy sent me 10.75-1 pistons which is way too high a compression ratio for the S&S 570's that he was well aware I would be using. Here's a photo of how I received the freshly bored cylinders and pistons. Notice what the piston is resting on. I am biting my tongue REAL hard.     

kd

You will still need to know the actual CC of the heads to determine the effect of the pistons you have.  Domed pistons can be used to compensate for large combustion chambers instead of machining the heads.  They may be OK and you won't know until you get all the numbers together to do a complete calculation.   Unfortunately that will include knowing the deck height so "some assembly required".
KD

Ohio HD

January 27, 2022, 09:29:26 AM #10 Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:35:02 AM by Ohio HD
Quote from: billbuilds on January 27, 2022, 04:05:30 AMOk I found the piston spec sheet on the pistons in the box so pardon me for misspeaking.  :embarrassed: I am not technically educated enough to be able to decipher the compression ratio from the available info so I'll call CP later today
There is no receipt however and after an email exchange it appears that he does not feel that one is warrented.  :scratch:

No Coff, there was no piston box. The rings were installed on the pistons and the pistons were just set into the top of the cylinders so that they rested on the bottom oil rail.     

Opps! I hadn't read down far enough and See Jamie has provided the dome info by piston part number already.

:up:

Ohio HD

Quote from: billbuilds on January 27, 2022, 08:04:41 AMI just got off the phone with a gentleman at Campbell Enterprises. He asked for the p/n on the spec sheet which is BHM98-10 (thanks Jamie Long). So this guy sent me 10.75-1 pistons which is way too high a compression ratio for the S&S 570's that he was well aware I would be using. Here's a photo of how I received the freshly bored cylinders and pistons. Notice what the piston is resting on. I am biting my tongue REAL hard.     

Wow, that's just poor thinking. 

Coff 06

I believe those pistons can be cut down to adjust compression ratio. Not what you want to hear with new parts sitting on the bench.
But just an option.          Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

billbuilds

kd, Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of what you're saying, I've plugged some numbers thru the Big Boyz calculator and it doesn't look real promising. those pistons have a dome volume of 10.4. Cams are S&S 570's. If you figure 85CC chambers (which I believe would have made that 9.5-1 compression mill run pretty flat) and an 045 head gasket you still end up with corrected compression of 9.6-1 and CCP a hair over 200. This does not leave much wiggle room head gasket thickness-wise if the piston are any more than flush deck height does it? 

coff, Thanks, Thinking that I may have to go that route.

billbuilds

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 27, 2022, 09:35:43 AM
Quote from: billbuilds on January 27, 2022, 08:04:41 AMI just got off the phone with a gentleman at Campbell Enterprises. He asked for the p/n on the spec sheet which is BHM98-10 (thanks Jamie Long). So this guy sent me 10.75-1 pistons which is way too high a compression ratio for the S&S 570's that he was well aware I would be using. Here's a photo of how I received the freshly bored cylinders and pistons. Notice what the piston is resting on. I am biting my tongue REAL hard.     

Wow, that's just poor thinking. 

Indeed and the more I think of it the more I wonder if he even bothered to put each piston in the respectively fit cylinder.   

tdrglide

Here is where you really need to know what cylinder head volume actually is. And measure deck height
Years ago I built a motor supposed to crank about 205psi according to the calculations. Couldn't figure out why it was over 220 until I took it apart and measured everything  :kick:

Ohio HD

Bill, if the cylinders are stock length, and not been machined, you should end up with the pistons 0.005" in the hole. CP's are pretty consistent as far as their compression height. On these it's 1.265". And if these are the OEM early rods for an 88" motor, they should be 7.667" long. An 0.030" head gasket should then give you a squish of 0.035".

You don't know for sure until it's together, but if all of the parts are standard size, this is what you should have.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

billbuilds

Brian,   
      Thanks that's real good info and much appreciated. The cylinders are indeed early (1999) having come off the same motor that they're going back on.   

djl

As has been said, the OP needs to measure and equalize chambers as well as check deck height.  Having said that, assuming (has to be verified) that chambers are 85cc, deck .005", with a .040" head gasket and -4*on the 570s, corrected CR is 9.5 and CCP 199psi. In this day and age, with a good tune is very manageable.

Just saying that it seems there are a couple of ways to skin this cat without re-inventing the wheel. :wink:

My 98" is running fine at 10.1 corrected and CCP at 212psi. I do run premium fuel (93) but have no tuning issues.

billbuilds

The chamber size turns out to be 79cc in one head and about .5 more in the other. I'm fine with keepping the ccp under 200. You can't always find 93 octane up here, especially when we have to change over to the summer blend, 91 octane becomes the high.

Don D

After all of that, just take a cut on the larger one .004

JSD

Is that correct in above? Positive piston down the hole in the Piston Deck Hight Chart. Just checking so i know as i thought the opposite. Thanks

Ohio HD

He's saying take 0.004" from the head gasket surface with the larger chamber, takes it down by about 0.5cc.

Buglet

Before I would do anything I would wait until I get the pistons back then install then and check to see how far the pistons are down in the cylinder. If you are lucky you might not have to take the head down. Being you going this far you should check ever thing.

kd

:agree:   Bask in the warm fuzzy feeling you will get at the end.
KD