March 29, 2024, 02:47:35 AM

News:

M8 cam real labor time

Started by rmc115, February 03, 2022, 05:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmc115

I am thinking about adding the se torque cam to my 20 ultra limited. Cam choice is not up for debate. The question is how much real time will it take not using the adjustable pushrods. Not looking for i charge xx hours but actual time required. I am lifelong tech and labor costs me nothing but still want to judge doing the job both ways. Thanks, Mike
00 Fatboy, 95"wood tw6, diamond cut,se 44mm  <br />20 Ultra Limited

kd

What you need to know then is the time and cost of gaskets to R&R the pushrods?  The rest will be the same.   The simple pushrod removal as apposed to the cutting of the OEM pushrods plus the cost of adjustables will be the difference in cost and time. 
KD

HogMike

Check out your service manual. It is labor intensive especially trying to get the cooling lines off to access the valve covers.

If, after you get the new cam in you may find after some miles on the engine you'll have to change lifters then you have to do it all over again.

Save yourself some time in the future and get some adjustable pushrods and cut the old ones out. S&S or SE make some nice ones. Just a suggestion from someone who has been down that road.
 :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

kd

:agree:  iIt will also give you the ability to make adjustments to combat hot start issues if they arise.  "Torque cams" are notorious for running hotter.
KD

les

Will you be using magnets to hold the lifters up, or will you be removing the lifter cuffs?

hrdtail78

With messing with the front mount and cooling manifold with lower fairing on the bike.  I suggest cutting and replacing.  The knock sensor connectors with their extra gray lock can be a pain as well.

Seems stock lifter cuff hold lifters out of the way, and the old style paper clamp clips work for this as well.
Semper Fi

rmc115

I have been modding and repairing Harley's for 25 years. Did 20 years in Porsche service working on intricate complicated engines. Just curious about real world amount of time a experienced tech takes on doing it the long way. It would save me about $250. I am not a huge fan of adjustable pushrods if not required. Mike

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

rmc115

Thanks    hrdtail78,  That may make worth while since we are butt deep in snow. Mike

les

Breaking a lifter cuff bolt (if you're going to remove them) will make the job a lot longer than 6 hours.

ziggy24

Quote from: les on February 03, 2022, 06:43:38 PMBreaking a lifter cuff bolt (if you're going to remove them) will make the job a lot longer than 6 hours.

well, if you take your time and a little heat , breaking the bolts shouldn't happen. Also, the last couple of years with the M8, Harley must have changed their loctite strength as it no longer seems to be an issue.

les

Quote from: ziggy24 on February 09, 2022, 03:29:53 AM
Quote from: les on February 03, 2022, 06:43:38 PMBreaking a lifter cuff bolt (if you're going to remove them) will make the job a lot longer than 6 hours.

well, if you take your time and a little heat , breaking the bolts shouldn't happen. Also, the last couple of years with the M8, Harley must have changed their loctite strength as it no longer seems to be an issue.

That's great news about the loctite.  I still use a heat gun and take my time because those bolts still feel really tight taking them out.  I do the same on those same grade 5 bolts on the oil lines, and I'll always use new bolts.  I guess the lifter cuff bolt I broke on a 2017 has left a scar in my brain. 

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

SP33DY

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The Mil-Eht Cam replacement time is: "Replace cam #3338 5.5 + Gaskets". That doesn't include the "Bump" the Dealer Charges. Could be from 0 to 2.75% - Depends on location, Labor Rate in the DSOA, and how much of a patron you are to the Dealership. Some reduce the bump for those.
Tom

Buglet

Being the labor time seems to be between 5 and 6 hrs. Now it comes down to the labor rate which can very between 300 all the way to 990. On the average about 700. Then off season and on season has an effect at some shops. Then don't forget the tune.

Thermodyne

Last one I did was up and running in less than three and a half hours.  Just changed the cam, cam bearing and tappets.  Bottom loaded the tappets and used adjustable pushrods.  Filled the tappets with 0/20 oil so I didn't have to wait 20-30 minutes for them to adjust in the cold shop.